Screech sound when changing channels.

reddice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Brooklyn, New York, United States
I just got a new TV. Toshiba 39L2300 and whenever I change channels from a SD to HD channel on my 612DVR it makes a loud screech noise for a second. I have the Zvox soundbar hooked up directly from the TV using the standard RCA audio 2 channel stereo connection. It is becoming very annoying and my old TV never did this.

Are you watching "Saved By The Bell" ?

screech_powers.jpg

I had a similar problem with my Samsung plasma due to Hdmi. I had to turn off my TV speakers in the menu and problem was solved. Btw turning the sound on the TV all the way down did not help only turning speakers off completely. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

TV speakers are turned off BTW. The weird thing is even loading a HD recording would do it. One thing I do notice is that both SD and HD channels are the same volume. On my older Toshiba the SD channels were much lower.

Suppose you do the reverse... Turn off the Zvox and turn on the TV speakers. Do you still have a screech?

If that doesn't work try new audio cables or an optical audio cable... I would also go into the rcvr's menu, select #6 system setup, #6 audio output, and then change the settings to PCM only disable volume leveling and select line mode.

If that doesn't work try new audio cables or an optical audio cable... I would also go into the rcvr's menu, select #6 system setup, #6 audio output, and then change the settings to PCM only disable volume leveling and select line mode.

That worked. The volume is not as loud on the SD channels and the HD channels are louder like they were on my old TV but no more snow noise. Thanks.

Last edited:
That worked. The volume is not as loud on the SD channels and the HD channels are louder like they were on my old TV but no more snow noise. Thanks.
Which exactly worked...cables or input adjustment??

That is an ok solution since you are using a stereo sound bar. If this was a surround system you would be giving up Dolby 5.1 sound for Dish converted PCM stereo meant for TV speakers. I don't know if there is any advantage in terms of sound quality for using Dolby Digital sound instead of PCM when you are hooking up to a stereo device though. Bottom line is that your problem is fixed and you are happy. That's all that really matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have gotten the same noises plus a loud pop for quite a while when using ARC and the H3. It seems to come and go and only happens with the H3. I have a separate input using Optical that not only does NOT screech or pop loudly, but I get better overall sound quality. So I killed the ARC and set both inputs for Optical from the H3 and the other from the OneConnect box. And haven't lost CEC control of either device since the HDMI cable is still connected even though I don't run video through the AVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)