SD 311's, to vip211k's, Florida

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Capt Odyssea

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Florida
Hi everyone, new here and registered, I'm old school insofar as I started with C band back in '83, Ku and then dish net. Did some Private Cable systems too, but got out of Electronics in 1999. (went retail! ha!)

Current 3 x 311 receiver system has a dish 500 aimed at 110/119.
I recently installed a vip211k on my boat, signal via KVH TV5 auto tracking dish, so that is obviously HD.
Thinking of upgrading the house to match the boat,
So questions. Best to use eastern or western arc? (south Fla, 33325, assume clear line of sight to both) 110/119 is SD West, what are the satellites for HD west? East? My Locals? (Miami to West Palm networks)

Can I buy and install myself? Good reputable supplier for Equipment? Probably drop to two receivers, hardly ever watch upst, so just feed the upst tv from downstairs. 2nd receiver is in my Moms den (80 yrs old, lives with us)

You want Western Arc if there is line of site to both, the Arc you are now using. Though Miami locals are on both WA and EA WA has less rain fade. (Don't let anyone tell you otherwise... :) )
You would still have 110/119 but also 129 for HD channels.
You can buy and install yourself, however likely DISH will install for free if you are upgrading unless you want to avoid a contract. Also keep in mind buying receivers saves no money over using ones from DISH. The one possible in some cases advantage is if own a receiver you can have it turned off for periods of time and not have to return the receiver.

Just to make sure you know, with a 211 you can add an external hard drive and it makes it DVR with no DVR fee, for a one time $40 charge. You already know it is only one tuner so I am guessing that is ok for you.
If you do buy and install it all, where did you buy the 211 you have can you buy everything from there? I have used Dish Depot, I'm sure others have other reputable sellers.

Thanks Tampa8, boba, Upstairs is a projector running on Svideo output, doesn't have hdmi, audio is via old school Yamaha receiver.
Remote for stereo turns on the projector, 311 satellite receiver is always on.
downstairs is a visio 60" tv with hdmi, old school Yamaha receiver with dsp for audio.
Grandma (my Mom) just has a toshiba 32" tv, fed with yellow red and white cords, in her small living room. Her own space.
I was away for a week and returned to Grandma's and the upstairs receivers De-authorized. ???
Only thing I had done this week was authorize the new Vip211k on the boat when the new KVH auto dish was installed. The Vip 211k has no smart card, the three 311 receivers all have blue cards, software ver 485. Marine Sat installer sold me the Vip211k.
I'll be calling Dish to re hit, but meanwhile today replaced the coax connectors at the dish just because. We had seen a few trouble with your switch messages at random.
Always cleared within a min.
Has dish sent out new cards recently? Junk mail gets thrown out around here......... before I can peruse it!

...the three 311 receivers all have blue cards...
Has dish sent out new cards recently? Junk mail gets thrown out around here......... before I can peruse it!
I am surprised they continued to work with blue cards this long. I thought Dish required everyone to upgrade to at least purple G3 cards many years ago. (I think around 2008)

Ordered a 1000.2 WA dish, vip211k receiver, will install new dish (old is 500 dual) and get the 311's running on it, stick a Vip211k in the living room and see how that goes.
Mom @ 80 ain't seeing HD, and seldom do we use the upstairs receiver.
I suppose I had to give in eventually.......any advice?

211K has been out of production for years so if you like them shop for the best prices and stock up. The Wally is the new replacement for the 211K. The 211Z is sadly lacking compared to 211K.

Reactions: navychop
I like the Vip 211k so far, as basic as the 311, I notice however that even with the sleep timer disabled the receiver
still goes to sleep after so many hours of inactivity (channel changing etc.)
It was set to sleep after 4 hrs, I selected disable.
Maybe unplug to get that to "take"?

I like the Vip 211k so far, as basic as the 311, I notice however that even with the sleep timer disabled the receiver
still goes to sleep after so many hours of inactivity (channel changing etc.)
It was set to sleep after 4 hrs, I selected disable.
Maybe unplug to get that to "take"?
Note that it will always go to sleep after nightly updates.

Note that it will always go to sleep after nightly updates.
The 211 series must shut down to load the next "24hrs." of program guide after that it goes to sleep. You can set a timer after the down load to turn it back on. Adding a hard drive (DVR option) may eliminate the shut down daily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)