SD channels displays left/right black stripes

hrp2171

Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hello,

First time poster here and new DishNetwork HD customer since last Friday.

I didn't know what to use to search the forum for my issue so I decided to start a thread all my own. :rolleyes:

I have an HD ready TV. It's a Hitachi 57in CRT Widescreen shown here: http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/16-9digital/57F59.shtml . The HD DVR is VIP622. The DVR only came with component cables, not an HDMI cable. I have no problem with that because it's a definite upgrade from the ugly coax connection.

On to my question, I setup the vip622 with options of off air, 1080i, and 16x9 in the HD setup section. I noticed that SD channels display as a big square picture smack in the middle of the TV plus black stripes left and right of the picture. I've also noticed that some HD channels display as a small rectangle right in the center of the tv with black areas running on top, bottom, left and right. These are mostly the sports channels. I would like my SD channels to fill up the screen while the HD channels fill up most of the screen even if the top-bottom black stripes show up.

Has anyone worked on a similar issue? Should I connect the DVR to the TV in a different way such as with an HDMI cable? I'm looking for input on this being the HD newb I am. :hungry:

Thanks for your help.

To fill the screen with an SD signal push the * button on the remote, first time will stretch, second will zoom, then hit it again and again to achieve the picture you want.

Bottom left button on your 622 remote is the aspect screen change, go to stretch mode on the aspect and this should change the view to a wider angle and you won't see the black bars, the other modes are zoom, play with them till you get comfortable using it, HD you can leave in normal mode but during commercial u will see different black bars, like you have been.

After watching the stretched picture you might think it looks too out of place. The stretched picture and, for example, seeing people that all look like they gained 100 pounds just seems to awkward to me. But its all about personal preference.

After watching the stretched picture you might think it looks too out of place. The stretched picture and, for example, seeing people that all look like they gained 100 pounds just seems to awkward to me. But its all about personal preference.

Agreed. I never stretch/zoom. What it is, is what it is.

I was willing to live with the big square, but my wife took one look at the TV and she looked ready to call DishNetwork back to take the HD programming away. :eek:

I was willing to live with the big square, but my wife took one look at the TV and she looked ready to call DishNetwork back to take the HD programming away. :eek:
Actually, she would need to take back the TV. You still would see it even on OTA HD channels that are not widescreen HD content. Dish, Direct, Cable...all would give you the same.

Last edited:
I've also noticed that some HD channels display as a small rectangle right in the center of the tv with black areas running on top, bottom, left and right.

I am a little concerned about this statement. If you are seeing this on an actual HD Channel then something is terribly wrong. A True HD Channel will fill the screen completely. Just wanted some clarification on this. The only time I see the picture you describe is when I am on a SD channel that has shrunk an HD picture to fit on the screen..

If you are watching an HD channel (i.e. A&E) AND the program you are watching was filmed in HD (i.e. CSI Miami) THEN the picture will fill the screen perfectly, provided that your tv's aspect settings are set correctly. Many programs on A&E and the other HD channels are not HD programs (i.e. they were not filmed in an HD format) so they will show as a square in the middle of the tv. Also, if the program was filmed in SD widescreen, then the program will have black bars on all four sides unless you stretch the video with the tv's aspect button or the # button on the 622 remote.

And wait for HD movies with bars on the top and bottom. Except for programs done at 16x9 (or close to it) ratios, bars are expected, or you will have to live with some sort of distored or cropped picture.

Welcome to the world of HDTV.

When I first got my HDTV I used one of the zoom features until I realized that I couldn't read the ticker on ESPNews or CNN or FoxNews or anything like that. So I tried the stretch. It took a little getting used to but my wife and I don't notice it at all anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)