SD Channels?

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Ok got hooked up yesterday and everything seems to work fine. The only thing is that the SD channels are not as clear as they were on basic cable. Im going to go see the place that installed my system see what they can do. Im running componet video now but from what I have read in the documentaion they are saying DVI is the best. I have a DVI connection on my TV so should I try it. Either way its a cable issue or a receiver issue so what have you guys done or what have you had to tweak to get things to run. The picture looks ok but sometimes the people faces kinda look blureie! Thanks for any input! :)

SD channels on E* leave a lot to be desired. They are highly compressed. I have a 65" RPTV and some channels are nearly unwatchable. Considering most SD broadcasts are geared for 36" TVs max, I'm not terribly surprised.

Yeah going to try to tweak it some see what I can do to get the picture better! I plan on getting a DVI cable try it since it was what they recommended that. Most of the SD channel are ok there are just a few that arent as clear as other's but I will see what I can do. If I found out anything that will improve things will pass the info along!

It's all a "depends on the TV" answer, but SD from my 811 looked TONS better through DVI when compared to component. Not even close. And, to boot, I have a CRT RPTV, which is normally written off as showing little or no diff with DVI. Could be scaler diffs, who knows.

Hmm I hooked up a DVI did not really notice any diffrence and channels like the Locals and all of the ESPN's have like a soft look to them! I have a 57inch Sony and those channels looked better on basic cable than what they do now!

Try going into the menu, and switching the HDTV setting between 1080 and 480. Word on the street is that SD looks better when the 811 is set to 480. The 811's scaler is not that good at upconverting teh signal. Just remember to switch back to 1080, when watching HD channels.

Personally, I find that procedure to be such a pain in the ass, that I just leave it on 1080. If they'd only get the "hd/sd" button working on the remote, it could make that process simpler.

Hmm ok I have not tried that setting it to 480! Just a fyi I have a friend that has a problem when he goes from a HD channel back to SD. The SD channel is all square and not stretch. To fix this where it will stay the same as far as takeing up the hole screen automatically just hit the "Format" button on the remote and that will fix that problem. Again thanks for the info!

new_to_hdtv said:
What's the "hd/sd button" supposed to do (if and when they get it working)?

They may not ever get it working. Perhaps it was originally intended to switch which outputs were active. But, since all 811 outputs are active simultaneously, it's not needed for that.

It would be nice if it can be used to toggle through the different output modes, 480/720/1080. That would be big time cool.

Thanks Gary! I was wondering myself what that did and I figured that's what it was!

GaryPen said:
They may not ever get it working. Perhaps it was originally intended to switch which outputs were active. But, since all 811 outputs are active simultaneously, it's not needed for that.

It would be nice if it can be used to toggle through the different output modes, 480/720/1080. That would be big time cool.

Good suggestion Gary.. That would be cool. There was some talk a while back of an enhancement that allowed one to set the output mode independent for SD and HD content. That would be even cooler.. If you added both of these together you could have a nice enhancement to say the least.

GaryPen said:
I doubt if the internal hardware could handle what you suggest. The box seems so limited.

OTOH, I think it could be entirely possible to link the hd/sd button to the resolution setting, skipping the whole menu process.

If you could do this via the remote, it can be done through software when you change a channel. I don't see how this would be a hardware limitation, but then again I am not familar with the hardware. ;)

This concept was discussed a while back and someone mentioned that they were working on it. This sure would make it a lot easier in our goal of getting the best PQ possible for both SD/HD.

Personally I am happy with my SD on my 60" GWII through the DVI, but then again I am not expecting a crisp picture like I see on my 27" in the room. the receiver is scaling up a compressed signal or the TV depending on how you update the signal. I sometimes wonder if people realize when you step up to a big screen TV your SD PQ will soften up as the 32" TV sitting in the living room. Artifacts are much more noticable and sitting 5' from your 73" RPT will make your picture look like a bad VHS transfer.

Well I am sure some of this PQ issues might be related to the Dark video. Then again maybe not. ;)

Wanted to say Thanks Gary for the info! I set the SD to 480 and that seemed to make the pciture allot better! So everything is working fine now and Im a happy camper! Again Thanks For the Info Guys! Now ready for some collage FB and ESPNHD got some good games in the Month of August. Im ready for some football!

Wow, I'm glad that I read this post. I switched to 480p to my philips 30inch via component cable and man did it make the world of difference. The SD's actually look really really good now, excpect the locals, they still look like crap.

Yeah I think the locals are going to come in better in some areas than other's!

dispatcher_21 said:
Wow, I'm glad that I read this post. I switched to 480p to my philips 30inch via component cable and man did it make the world of difference. The SD's actually look really really good now, excpect the locals, they still look like crap.

Many people have "auto native resolution" on their wish lists for the 811. It would be nice. I don't know if the 811 is capable, though, even with a software update.

As for Dish Locals PQ, mine (SF/Oak/SJ) have improved dramatically lately, as have all SD channels to a lesser extent. Has anybody else noticed that?

Yep. I've noticed that too. I don't get locals through Dish, but the SD channels from 110/119 look better for me.

I wonder if they figured out a way to tweak the compression?

Hey Scott. Can you use your connections to find out if they did anything? If they did (and it isn't just hancox and my imaginations), my hats off to Dish's broadcast engineers!

The last time this happened they had preformed an upgrade to their compression software. Maybe they got another one??

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)