SD Dupes and wasted space, blocking more or other HD!?!?!?

Changing the transmission structure of the EA to HD transmission would leave Dish is the position of still subscribing SD and HD feeds.

The answer is to convert the WA to all new HD capable receivers. Then Dish could argue that they need only HD feeds from the content providers.

So everyone that wants the changeover of the WA to HD only, should send in a check to help pay for the SD to HD equipment upgrades for those hold-outs then okay with their old equipment.

1) The majority of customers televisions that have DISH Network are still mostly SD TV's. While there may be one or two HD TV's in most houses, TV's 3, 4 5 and 6 are SD.

2) DISH is required under contract the SD versions of channels they have HD versions of. They can not just shut the SD off then they would be in violation of contracts.

Changing the transmission structure of the EA to HD transmission would leave Dish is the position of still subscribing SD and HD feeds.

The answer is to convert the WA to all new HD capable receivers. Then Dish could argue that they need only HD feeds from the content providers.

So everyone that wants the changeover of the WA to HD only, should send in a check to help pay for the SD to HD equipment upgrades for those hold-outs then okay with their old equipment.

My question is, why couldn't they offer the above to Disney and close out this whole argument? Dish is proving they don't need to purchase an SD feed to provide an SD channel. With the replacement of AMC & IFC w/ HDNET Movies and the renamed HDNET. I'm getting them both on my old 311's because they're down converting and MPEG-2ing those channels. If a company wants 2 fees for HD/SD, buy the HD, provide a downconverted version for SD customers??? Sounds simple enough... I think that would help phase out SD all together if Direct & the cable companies would approach programmers with that option.

The broadcasters (Turner, Discovery, A&E, Disney, etc) could shut down their SD feeds and lower some of their costs and put the whole infrastructure responsibility on the content providers. The main companies then could put more $$ into production of programming instead of maintaining an SD feed.

This solution wouldn't change the bandwidth needed for the providers, but would maybe lower programming costs to them to offset the hardware to down convert???

Any thoughts???

Just a point to take into consideration is that the satellite feeds are also going to cable companies. There are still many small CATV operators in rural areas that offer few or a very limited number of HD channels.

If they only serve a few hundred subscribers it might be an insurmountable financial burden for them to purchase new equipment to download HD feeds and then have to down convert them to SD for distribution on their systems.

I am happy with my SD 625 receiver but if you are willing to pay for an upgrade for me since I do not do autopay and Dish gets HD feeds for ALL programming channels then I will be more then happy to watch HD TV.

Not that I would turn down that offer for my 311s too, but if they received all HD feeds & down converted for MPEG-2 users, you wouldn't have to retire the 625...

There was the day when analog cellphones went away even though many said the cell companies would never turn off customers. The cost of retaining analog facilities was too much.

So too that day will come to the receivers that do not receive the new compression modes (ala MPEG-4). It won't matter what the content is, it will matter on how many channels can be on a transceiver.

You can wait till the end and hope there are free replacements when the termination day comes. Or you could be looking for a good deal in the near future and not have to worry about being cut-off.

Dish was able to do that w/ the MPEG-2 HD receivers. When they switched all HD over to MPEG-4, owners of 921's and 942's... down side is there is a lot more MPEG-2 SD units than there were of these, so swapping didn't create a large uproar...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts