SD Quality on HD Package?

trueredtc

Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
To those who have the HD package, does the SD reception get any better? I just upgraded to a HDTV and the picture coming from my 311 reciever (S-Video) looks awful. I don't to upgrade unless the SD signal is improved. Obviously the resolution would be SD, but hopefully there is less dithering and artifacts in the signal. Thanks!

Picture

Most people find the SD shows to look worse on a TV that is larger in size. So it isn't so much showing SD on an HDTV as it is the increased size. For the best SD signal, use component connections, not S-Video. Then adjust your picture settings for the best picture, generally turning down contrast and brightness.

Picture

Also, an HD signal looks much better than a SD signal, so if you have an HDTV, you should use an HD signal as much as possible. Upgrade!!!

WELCOME :).. yes the SD picture is going to look bad on an HDTV because your converting analog to digital instead of digital to digital... It gets better with an HD reciver but granted it could be better. As far as artifacts and everything else.. dish is the best for not having them. ask the D* folks who are yelling because of there artifacts. Also did you get a bigger tv. if yes then thats another reason because your seeing more of the picture. The hd channels look damm good on mine :) SD could be better but its a give and take. I watch only hd 99% of the time anyhow so I dont notice :)

Thanks mmpotash and goaliebob99! I upgraded to a ViewSonic 27" LCD TV from a 20" flat tube TV. It doubles as the monitor for my PC as well. I don't notice the artifacting as much on my 27" Sony Triniton in the living room. So part of it might be the fact that the LCD is more crisp than a tube. When I upgrade, I'm gonna have to replace the Sony. Oh Darn! :rolleyes:

We have a 61" Hitachi and the SD picture is much better with the 622 receiver. Originally had it hooked up to a 301 with S video connection. Much improvement on all channels with 622 and hdmi/dvi connection.

I have a 34" 16:9 widescreen HDTV. I've had an 811, a 942 and now a 622. With all three of those receivers, the SD looks 100% better with an S-Video (composite in case of 942) connection than it does using either component or DVI.

Maybe larger screens are different but on mine, it's far better to switch inputs for SD viewing.

waltinvt said:
I have a 34" 16:9 widescreen HDTV. I've had an 811, a 942 and now a 622. With all three of those receivers, the SD looks 100% better with an S-Video (composite in case of 942) connection than it does using either component or DVI.

Maybe larger screens are different but on mine, it's far better to switch inputs for SD viewing.
I'm guessing it's because the comb filter in your TV is better than the scaler in your Dish receivers. I'm not sure how common that is for a consumer-level television.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts