SD to HD upgrade

drchuck

Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Long Island, NY
Been a Dish subscriber since the year 2000. Started out with a 2700 receiver and a Dish 300 on the roof. Now I have a 311K with a Dish 500 pointed at 119/110. Earlier this year, the old picture tube in the SD TV died, so I bought a new HD TV. Now I'm thinking of upgrading the receiver to HD (non-DVR). From what I've gathered, I'll need a new dish to be repointed to the eastern arc in order to get HD. I'm guessing there would be an installation fee for that, but what about the receiver upgrade itself? Would there be a fee for that also?

Call DISH you might be surprised at upgrade costs, only DISH can give you the true costs. The only non DVR HD Receiver offered by DISH currently in production is the WALLY.

Go for the DVR function. Even if you never record a program, you can skip back/rewind to hear something you missed. Or put it on pause while you answer the phone or, err, have an urgent need for a haircut.
WHAT HE SAID!

Reactions: DWS44
Go for the DVR function. Even if you never record a program, you can skip back/rewind to hear something you missed. Or put it on pause while you answer the phone or, err, have an urgent need for a haircut.

Though it adds $15 a month to the cost... Must have for me but if you can do without it $15 savings.

The OP could also add an EHD to the Wally to get Trick Play (and DVR) w/o the monthly fee. Or course, there's the added fee of buying an EHD if they don't have a suitable one already.

And you don't have to change to EA for HD. I'm still on WA, the only thing I don't get HD is my locals (which I get OTA).

He said he has a Dish 500 pointing at 110 and 119 so he'll get very few HD channels as most of the HD channels on the western arc are on 129.

Reactions: sam_gordon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts