SD vs HD feed recordings

Banilejo

Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Boston, MA
Would there be a reason why a scheduled recording would pick the SD feed of an HD channel? This has happened a few times on SPEED HD, any ideas? while browsing live TV it always shows it in HD. Is it just a bug or is there something I need to do to make sure it records in HD? its kind of hit or miss right now.

You sure you have your timer set to record the HD channel? Should be an HD in the corner of the icon for the timer when you look at it. I certainly haven't gotten anything in SD that I set to record in HD. Though when I first got the machine I made the mistake if setting some SD recordings when I wanted HD.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe Speed doesn't have a HD signal full time and some things may be SD only. But that would only be a guess, I don't really watch the Speed channel.

I did not notice if it had the hd icon or not when I set the recording, but I chose channel 150 which is speed HD. Also even if the race was not in HD, wouldn't the rest be in HD (logo, commercials and promo ads their HD shows)? When tit recorded everything was SD.

I'll keep an eye for the logo next time in case it does it again and I would at least know if that might have been the problem.

Actually the channel numbers for the HD channels are in the 9000s. If you look at your guide you'll see there are actually two channel 150s. One is the SD version, one is the HD version. The receiver remaps 9468 (Speed HD) to that second 150. On the 922, the HD indicator is under the channel number/text and is somewhat difficult to see.

I never use the 9000 range for hd . I block out all in this range ,except the public service channels, and use the low channel numbers. I block out all sd channels with hd counterparts. Makes for a much cleaner guide.

This is exactly the reason I use the Channel Locks feature to lock-out all SD equivalents to the HD channels. I have gone through the pain of setting timers for the SD channel when I THOUGHT I had made the timer for the HD channel. Tears. Got fed up and locked out channels. Also, my family will sometimes--while channel surfing--view the SD equivalent for HOURS not realizing that it is available in HD on the next map-downed channel. They can't keep track in their heads which channels are in HD (about 100 now). This happens even in Guide view because the list of channels shows the SD at the very bottom, so they tune to that not paging down once more to see the HD channel listed. This is the way the vast majority of people do this. They aren't techies like those on this board. They get a a bit upset at themselves--they are paying the extra $$ for HD--and a bit pissed at Dish for not having a feature like the Locals set-up where the SD's won't display.

Also, if you use the DISHPASS feature, it has among the options "HD Preference" and "HD Only." That is the one sure way I know it will only record the HD showing of a movie or any other show.

I just use a favorites list that has the HD versions selected. Also when doing a program search I make sure to select the box that has "HD" in the top right corner. No issues with recording SD instead of HD here. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)