SeaLaunch has set-back

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I tell you what, given accidents like this and delays we've seen, there is serious demand for sat launches. Now if it was only as easy as putting the startup costs on my credit card and going into business.

SkyReport says the national HD's should be deployed as-scheduled, but some local DMA's are likely to be delayed:

Will Explosion Affect DIRECTV's HD Plans?
Earlier this week, a SES New Skies satellite and rocket exploded during its launch from the unmanned,
ocean-going Sea Launch platform in the equatorial Pacific. A spokeswoman for the company confirmed that
the Boeing-built NSS-8 satellite had been destroyed - but no one yet knows just how significant the
damage is to the platform itself.

Particularly interested in the platform's current state is DIRECTV with its plans to launch two new
satellites later this year that the company is banking on to take its high definition offering to the
next level. Of the two satellites - DIRECTV-10 and DIRECTV-11 - the second is the only one slated for
launch at the sea-bound platform.

Bernstein Research's Craig Moffett said DIRECTV-10 will be launched from the ground in June and
should be able to provide sufficient capacity to deliver dozens of national HD channels that the
company promised at this year's CES. The analyst also said it is likely that the launch of DIRECTV-11,
however, will be delayed.

According to DIRECTV, a launch delay would limit the rate at which the company can expand
availability of local HD channels. Moffett said the satcaster is looking at other launching options for
DIRECTV-11, though its unclear whether it will be able to secure an alternative launch slot.
"Any delay in DIRECTV's HDTV strategy is an incremental negative for the company (but) the impact is
likely smaller than initial reports may have suggested," the analyst said about predictions the company
would postpone its HD development until 2008. "Having to delay expanding their HD locals footprint is
clearly a setback, but we believe the impact is likely to be relatively modest."

Late last night, Robert Mercer, DIRECTV's director of public relations told SkyREPORT that the
explosion would have no impact on the company's future HD plans.

I am nots ure what you said Mr. Smith but I think that we are all in agreement that there is usually one pad there but that they can transport a pad---sometimes with the launch vehicle to the launch site.

No, it's like Rad said. There is not "usually one pad there." They sail out into the Pacific near the equator to launch, then sail back. Nothing is left at sea. And it's not the exact same spot that they launch from each time.

They cannot just launch the same rocket from land to achieve the same orbit, unless that is near the equator. They launch from the equator because that requires the least fuel to reach orbit. Out in the Pacific is safest. They could, as a general rule, move to another launcher by changing the mating adaptor between the satellite and launch vehicle. There are other concerns, such as vibration characteristics, that apply. But if they moved to a Russian or U.S. land launch site, they would need a larger rocket. Not sure if they would from French Guiana.

It actually looks like this is going to be more of an impact on the future of E* than D*. They were scheduled to launch their Echostar 11, in July, before D-11. It will impact both companies, but looks like E* more than D*. Hope they are able to recover and get back on schedule.

This is a busy year, around here at KSC. There are 11 or 12 launches scheduled for this year, between the shuttle and rocket launches. Don't think they could squeeze any more in.

I think I was the one that wondered in another thread what would happen if one of the rockets went KABOOM. I just wondered if it was one of D*'s. While they sidestepped it, they did state is was "an incremental negative for the company " I think that they are trying to best case it. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I think it will wind up worse than they thought. Just my two cents.

They're concluded:
"Experts found that the accident’s most probable reason was the disruption of main feed line of liquid oxygen from the fuel tank to the engine. It might be the evidence of spoilage which happened during the rocket’s production in Yuzhmash R&D center."

This is a busy year, around here at KSC. There are 11 or 12 launches scheduled for this year, between the shuttle and rocket launches. Don't think they could squeeze any more in.

Split between 5 launch pads, 12 is a lot in a year? I know that there are quite a few Delta 2 launches, but among the others there are very few.

Status
Please reply by conversation.