Seattle: No FOX hd?

chrischris

Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Hey guys. Sorry if I come off as ignorant, but this is my first post. The Dish guy just installed my new system tonight. I have never used a Satellite system before, but Comcast finally pissed me off enough to call Dish.

My setup is two tvs, running off of one dvr-hd box. When I ordered the system, the lady told me that FOX does not have a dedicated hd channel, but any program that reads "in high def" at the bottom of the screen when the show starts (basically all primetime shows) I would receive in a hd broadcast.

However, this does not seem to be the case. Was I lied to? Thanks for any info.

Here is a link to a lengthy thread regarding this:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=61848

In short, KCPQ (Fox) does broadcast HD. Dish intended to carry it back in May when Local HD was brought to Seattle but was not able to negotiate a deal with Tribune (owns the Seattle and Sacramento Fox affiliates). You can form your own conclusions as to who is in the wrong. But the sad result is we are in limbo as far as Dish retransmitting the HD signal.

KCPQ does broadcast an HD signal Over the Air (OTA). That is what most of us are relying on. It works great and the 622 will record those programs just like all the programs that come in off the dish. In Seattle it requires a UHF antenna. Check out this site to see what strength antenna you will need:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I am in the Mill Creek area and happen to be in the shadow of a large hill blocking my path to the the broadcast antennas but still get decent results using a Channel Master Yagi (CM4248). Other people do just fine using using just an indoor antenna. It all depends on location.

If you can get a clear signal OTA the picture it produces is fantastic. Better than the what you'd get from dish's retransmission.

Good luck.

Cool, I see. I went to the suggest site and it looks like I need a red uhf antenna. I live in Ballard, but it looks like the broadcast is still far away from me. I think I will go to Radio Shack and try to pick something up and play with it.

That is great to hear my 622 box will integrate this channel. I really rely on recording my favorite fox shows. I assume the manual covers this issue? I will have to check it when I get home.

Here is a link to a lengthy thread regarding this:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=61848

In short, KCPQ (Fox) does broadcast HD. Dish intended to carry it back in May when Local HD was brought to Seattle but was not able to negotiate a deal with Tribune (owns the Seattle and Sacramento Fox affiliates). You can form your own conclusions as to who is in the wrong. But the sad result is we are in limbo as far as Dish retransmitting the HD signal.

KCPQ does broadcast an HD signal Over the Air (OTA). That is what most of us are relying on. It works great and the 622 will record those programs just like all the programs that come in off the dish. In Seattle it requires a UHF antenna. Check out this site to see what strength antenna you will need:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I am in the Mill Creek area and happen to be in the shadow of a large hill blocking my path to the the broadcast antennas but still get decent results using a Channel Master Yagi (CM4248). Other people do just fine using using just an indoor antenna. It all depends on location.

If you can get a clear signal OTA the picture it produces is fantastic. Better than the what you'd get from dish's retransmission.

Good luck.
this is one of the reasons that i'll switch to d as soon as they get more hd. kcpq has most of our nascar and seahawks
if e can't get it i know d does!!!!

We all have different criteria. I went to Dish back when cable (ATT at the time) was taking forever to make any improvements. Cable has moved a long way since then, but the memory still lingers.

You can draw your own conclusions. Personally I don't blame E for the holdup. The Tribune attorney seems way too anxious to get E subscribers to move to D. KCPQ HD will eventually get turned up on Dish. In the meantime, Dish still has about twice the amount of HD. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Cool, I see. I went to the suggest site and it looks like I need a red uhf antenna. I live in Ballard, but it looks like the broadcast is still far away from me. I think I will go to Radio Shack and try to pick something up and play with it.

That is great to hear my 622 box will integrate this channel. I really rely on recording my favorite fox shows. I assume the manual covers this issue? I will have to check it when I get home.

In Ballard you should have success with the rs 15-2160 ($25) from radio shack. And if it doesn't work you can always return it. If that doesn't work I'd look at the CM4221. It's inexpensive and isn't too directional so you should get all the locals with a minimum of effort. And it's fairly easy to put it in a place that isn't too obvious if that's a concern.

Good luck.

Ok, I picked up an RCA ant-103 from Best Buy. It was $20 and I had a gift card for that amount. So far, I seem to be picking up KCPQ at a 68 signal level. I was not able to get a signal with it next to my tv, but on a stand near the window is where I achieved the best signal. It looks a little ugly, but I need my 24 and House in HD.

Have you heard of any developments?

I recently sent my bi-monthly e-mail to the lawyer from Tribune and got this response:

ME: Any chance at all we'll be seeing KCPQ-HD over Dish?

HIM: No change, sorry. We haven't heard from them.

So, like you said earlier - it's hard to know, really, who to blame, but from this it sounds like, maybe, Dish has given up entirely.

Re: the original thread - I, too, live in Ballard and have had good success with an indoor UHF antenna: http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_Display.asp?cat=&id=131. I get about 70-75 most of the time for KCPQ and like was mentioned earlier, the PQ is outstanding.

Is this correct (upgrade to hd dish and dvr)

What's the deal with Closed Caption and the 622s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts