SEC-TV likely to become a reality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Attention, channel surfers: There's a new wave on the horizon.

By the end of this decade, most major college athletics conferences could have their own television networks. The Mountain West unveils its own channel this fall, the Big Ten comes out with one in 2007, and — never to be outdone — the SEC is considering the prospect after its current TV contract expires in 2009.

So in the not-too-distant future, rather than wondering which channel to catch your favorite conference's games on, viewers might simply tune in to SEC-TV. Or ACC-TV.

"We have been exploring the possibility of an SEC channel for several years now," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Friday. "We always try to keep up with trends, and it's something we're definitely interested in. But if and when you do it has more to do with when your contracts come up for discussion."

The SEC's television contract with CBS, ESPN and Lincoln Financial (formerly Jefferson Pilot) expires at the end of the 2008-09 academic year. Another deal with Fox Sports South — which includes regional football and basketball coverage and multiple non-revenue sports — expires in June 2008.

The Big Ten announced the advent of its channel this week as part of a new 10-year agreement with ABC and ESPN. The Big Ten Channel will be available in August 2007 and will be distributed by Fox Cable Networks via satellite and cable networks. Its broadcasts also would be available via the Internet, iPods and cellphones.

In addition to providing exposure for non-revenue sports, these new 24-hour channels will show football and basketball games that aren't picked up by the major networks. The stations also will air "classic" games from the conferences' archives and provide venues for some academic programming.

"One of the things that is attractive about it is the potential for showing off so many of the other attributes of our institutions," Slive said.

"Symphonies, convocations, major speeches — not just athletic events — could be shown to our fans."

Slive estimated it would be at least 18 months before the league enters serious discussions regarding its network.

"The way technology continues to evolve, the landscape could be totally different by then," he said. "But we have been thinking about it, we have been exploring it, and we will continue to evaluate it."

Slive was asked if he felt the SEC starting its own channel was necessary to keep up with the Joneses.

"We are the Jones," he replied.

The SEC already features more nationally televised football games — 30 to 35 per year — than any other conference, distributing them via CBS, ESPN and ESPN2. There is plenty of regional coverage on top of that.

"Any time you can get more exposure for our schools and all our programs, it's good," Georgia athletics director Damon Evans said. "If it means more exposure, we like it."

If it's SEC-TV tomorrow, could Bulldogs-TV be far away?

"We've been approached about that for a number of years," Evans said with a laugh. "That's been discussed. It depends on whether the marketplace would support it, certainly.

"But never say never."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/0624collegetv.html

I thought it was already settled :
ABC/ESPN = Big Ten football.
CBS = SEC, at least in my area of the country.
NBC = Notre Dame football.
Fox regional (FSN's ) = mostly Pac 10

Jimbo

cablewithaview said:
nope, some of these contracts are running out over the next few years (2008-2010), some contracts in place are short term contracts.

Well then, It could get interesting.
I know the Big Ten just re did thier contract with ABC/ESPN so thats good to go.
Not sure about the status of NBC and Notre Dame, I heard something a while back, but don't remember what it was.

Was it FOX that bought the National Championship game for the upcoming years ?
It would not suprise me if FOX got into the College game, even though they do the NFL as well.

Of course the NFL is all over the place .....

Jimbo

you have to relize not all big 10 games will be on ABC/ESPN , the roll out for there channel is August 2007.

I don't want Fox big into college sports, I don't like there coverage now.

cablewithaview said:
you have to relize not all big 10 games will be on ABC/ESPN , the roll out for there channel is August 2007.

Yes but the Buckyes are generally on either ESPN or ABC.
ABC if it's a bigger game , Texas, Mich ect.
I don't see the OSU / Mich game going to the new network anytime soon.

Last edited:
OSU-Michigan will never go to the new network, ABC and ESPN would have to pass it up first and I can never see them doing that.

OSU and Michigan will be guaranteed two games on the new Big Ten network, so ABC and ESPN will have to pass on picking them some weeks.

cablewithaview said:

August of 2007 is a long time from now.
This year will be the same as always.
Like mentioned above, OSU vs Michigan will never be on the new network,
ABC and / or ESPN would have to be really loaded with super rivalries before that would happen.

mattsarz,
OSU and Michigan will be guaranteed two games on the new Big Ten network, so ABC and ESPN will have to pass on picking them some weeks.

I can see this happening with the lower teams in the Big Ten or possibly out of conference games, outside of the BIG out of confrence games.

You won't see ND and Michigan on the new network either.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)