Sec vs Big 12 football champs to meet in new "bowl game"

Cool. I heard the Big 12 had an announcement for today but I've been unavailable since early this morning and missed most of the news all day. This would be a good match up for the Cotton Bowl at Jerry world.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

Not so fast, my friend.

The NCAA controls liscenses for bowl games. The two leagues are not goin to have a "new" bowl game. They are going to shop their champions, or more correctly their runners-up in most years, to existing bowl games as a package.

More than likely this game will end up in the Cotton Bowl or the Sugar Bowl or rotating between the two. Depending on what comes of the BCS playoff scenario. My bet would be on the Cotton Bowl unless something happens with the Sugar Bowl backing out of any playoff scenario

either way sec will beat big 12 butt in game.sec is a much better conference and best in nation :)

I don't understand this really, why limit yourself to one conference. If I was the president of the SEC I would have said no way to this game.

I don't understand this really, why limit yourself to one conference. If I was the president of the SEC I would have said no way to this game.
Money. Plain and simple.
The two conferences will run this game themselves it appears, with no bowl in the traditional sense to get in the way. So instead of getting a "cut", they get it all.

That and it sets them up nicely in case they go with certain proposed ideas on just conference champs getting into the playoffs. If they go with the top four teams period, then it still gives them a marquee matchup that is controlled by the leagues and not a bowl committee.

Extremely smart move IMHO.

Well the champ of each conference should be in the NC playoff or at least one will be and if it's like last year the top two teams from one conference will be in the playoff. The game won't have the same hype if it was the top team from each.

Well the champ of each conference should be in the NC playoff or at least one will be and if it's like last year the top two teams from one conference will be in the playoff. The game won't have the same hype if it was the top team from each.
That is true, but it will still be big, even if both top teams are in the playoffs. Think of it as the Cotton Bowl with better picks.

msmith198025 said:
That is true, but it will still be big, even if both top teams are in the playoffs. Think of it as the Cotton Bowl with better picks.

If LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma are three teams in the playoffs IMO no one will care about the bowl except for the fans of the teams that do go, no one cares about the Rose Bowl anymore.

cybok0 said:
If LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma are three teams in the playoffs IMO no one will care about the bowl except for the fans of the teams that do go, no one cares about the Rose Bowl anymore.

Possibly. However a Arkansas/auburn/Georgia/tennessee vs a texas/okie state/tech/west va game would still be as big as most any current bcs matchup that we have had recently.

I see great potential here. And regionally it will draw a lot of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

College football really needs to redo their conferencing system and especially their playoff system, as in get an actual playoff system!

College football really needs to redo their conferencing system and especially their playoff system, as in get an actual playoff system!
Tweaks need to be made sure, and they are in that process, but IMO, we already have that in a pro league. I would hate for the college game to mirror that, to that extent anyway.
Of course that is just my personal opinion. Many wont agree.

Heck if it got down to the the top teams of the sec and big 12 already being in the playoff system, they could drop all the way down to grabbing texas tech to play texas.. That would be a great sellout. Or missouri or tech playing against any big 12 team would draw an interest.

Heck if it got down to the the top teams of the sec and big 12 already being in the playoff system, they could drop all the way down to grabbing texas tech to play texas.. That would be a great sellout. Or missouri or tech playing against any big 12 team would draw an interest.

True