Second mid-life crisis! Need "dream car" advice. XK-E anyone ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi all! I'm hoping I'll run into a couple of folks with some experience here...

I grew up some decades ago per the calendar. Some folks will say I never grew up and perhaps this post proves that! For my first mid-life crisis about 10 years ago I quit my perfectly good job to go back to school, bought a Harley, got some ink, etc. No worries, life was great. I eventually went back into the mainstream, but I still have the equipment and such, and a bunch of great memories.

So now I'm thinking about pullin' that trigger again, this time perhaps for my boyhood dream car - a shiny red Jaguar XK-E. IIRC, I was attracted to the 1966 vintage OTS (Open Two-Seater) type. I had a model of this car and it had a removable hard top if memory serves. Being a '66 it would have been a Series 1 and with the 4.2L DOHC 6-cyl. engine. I was in San Diego in a classic cars store in the Gas Lamp district a couple of years back and they had a car very much like this for about $40K - I shoulda pulled the trigger then!

What do you know about such a car? If kept in decent shape, how reliable are they? Do they have the notoriously bad "Lucas electricals" that plagued many Brit brands of that vintage? Are parts reasonably available?

Still just a dream at this point...but one that's recurring with alarming frequency these days, and there's only one cure for that...!

TIA and BRgds...

I drive a Jag...04 X Type and I love it.

If you have the time, patience, and love of the car, then it may be for you. The Internet has made tracking down parts and finding mechanics- or help online- much easier.

Isn't there a saying to the effect: "You can sell a man a Jaguar, but you'll never sell him a second one."

Everyone I've ever spoken with that had a Jag had LOT'S of problems, mostly electrical. "Reliable" and "Jaguar" can never be used in the same sentence without the word "not."

Suggest you spend your money elsewhere, and your time here at SatGuys rather than tinkering.

What do you know about such a car? If kept in decent shape, how reliable are they? Do they have the notoriously bad "Lucas electricals" that plagued many Brit brands of that vintage? Are parts reasonably available?

As someone who was deeply involved with one a few years ago (read that almost 40), there was never a time when a mid to late 60s XKE was reliable. :) The carbs needed constant tuning, the electrical was the pits, clutches had problems, etc. They were fun cars, loved that aspect, but reliable, nope. Brother had a XKE with the 12 cylinder in it, same issues. The transmissions were pretty good as were the wheels, but outside of that, not much else was reliable about them. Comfort was never a factor either, they didn't waste money on padding, etc. similar to the old MGs and TR-3s.

If you are really wanting a car similar to that, a bit later era, and believe it or not a whole lot more reliable, check out the Opel GTs (one imported from Germany, if possible.) Fun to drive, a lot going for in handling, etc.

Dayum, now you have me thinking maybe I ought to be looking for one for myself! :D An Opel GT, not another Jag, MG, Triumph, et. al.

Go ahead and get one. Reliable? Nothing built in that era was reliable. Lucas was always known as "the Prince of Darkness". So what? This is a car you have probably coveted since your childhood, and now you have the means to buy it. If you have some maintenance issues, find a good mechanic, that specializes in Jaguar. They got to eat too. It's not like you will be using this car everyday.

BTW, I love your choice. I've wanted one since the first time I saw one in the sixties. The 6-cylinder used to be the more desirable car over the 12 cylinder models, but this may no longer be true. I've owned many MG's and Truimph's over the years, and yes they were all high maintenance vehicles. Never got the XK-E I desired, but the game isn't over yet.

One last thought. The new models are now the most dependable cars built. This according to JD Power.

Isn't there a saying to the effect: "You can sell a man a Jaguar, but you'll never sell him a second one."
your money elsewhere, and your time here at SatGuys rather than tinkering.

I'll buy a second one. I love mine. It's an 04...and more of a Ford, but I do love it.

"....This is a car you have probably coveted since your childhood,...."

Better to keep the dream, than to see it crushed.

I had a friend with a German-built Opel GT back in the day. He loved it, but it had its problems too. I recall helping him repair a clutch cable on a below-zero New Year's day. However, I wouldn't rule Opel out on his experiences.

I had another friend with an MG that had constant clutch and carb-sync. problems. He worked on that car at least as much as he drove it. But what a blast when it did run! Something both extremely exciting and extremely nerve racking at the same time flying along only a couple inches off the road at triple-digit speeds. That's the "memories" I'm talking about!

Incidentally, these guys are both Fraternity Brothers (per another thread). We're in constant contact even after all these years. Both drive "conservative" vehicles these days, while I'm headed in the opposite direction!

I'm fixated on the XK-E for the moment for no good reason other than the aforementioned boyhood fascination. I'm just beginning my research on this model, and others I might end-up considering in the same category will become apparent in time.

I'm no mechanic, so finding a good local one for whatever model I consider who can "keep me running" is a vital part of this search, and may very well be the determinant! But "tinkering" is one of my loves. With the vintage cars, tinkering is both a necessity, and possible! (Also true with the Harley...!)

Last edited:
I had a friend with a German-built Opel GT back in the day. He loved it, but it had its problems too. I recall helping him repair a clutch cable on a below-zero New Year's day. However, I wouldn't rule Opel out on his experiences.

I had another friend with an MG that had constant clutch and carb-sync. problems. He worked on that car at least as much as he drove it. But what a blast when it did run! Something both extremely exciting and extremely nerve racking at the same time flying along only a couple inches off the road at triple-digit speeds. That's the "memories" I'm talking about!

I'm fixated on the XK-E for the moment for no good reason other than the aforementioned boyhood fascination. I'm just beginning my research on this model, and others I might end-up considering in the same category will become apparent in time.

I'm no mechanic, so finding a good local one for whatever model I consider who can "keep me running" is a vital part of this search, and may very well be the determinant...!

Try contacting the Jaguar car clubs. I'm sure there will be a lot of people there who would love to help you, just like here!

I'm curious, what cars have our members "coveted" here?
I already said that mine is also a Jaguar XK-E. What's yours?

I covet a fully electric plug in overnight car with the space of my Jetta and able to go at least 50 miles at 50 mph. With cruise control, a/c and a few amenities. For less than $30,000. As a compromise, I'd accept a small internal combustion engine in it, just to charge the batteries, but then it'd better go at least 100 miles at 60.

Why not, while we're dreaming.

Anyway, I guess I DO have my fantasy vehicle, that I coveted for many years before getting the cash to buy it. My 2004 Dodge Quad cab diesel 4x4 LB.

Got to be careful about coveting a car. Guy I knew coveted a TR-7, and got one. Went cross country with him in it once. Never again. What a piece of work that was, both in design and build. He had a VERY hard time getting rid of it. Lost a bundle.

Not much of a car guy.

AH- left that off. It's a 3500, so I can tow a fiver. Yep, I'll drive it forever, too! Love that monster, but hardly drive it anymore, since I got a company car (& can't afford to tow, fuel prices). Sure makes quick work of picking up supplies at the hardware store or lumber yard for projects!

Try contacting the Jaguar car clubs. I'm sure there will be a lot of people there who would love to help you, just like here!
Of course that will happen in time, plus a bunch of on-line resources, books, car experts (Bobby Likis, if I can ever get through!), etc. But I consider the SatGuys guys (and gals!) a very valuable braintrust that will help me get started in the right direction...

BTW - I was thinking that the current economic situation might drive prices down, tho' folks that currently own such cars probably aren't the ones needing to sell...

AH- left that off. It's a 3500, so I can tow a fiver. Yep, I'll drive it forever, too! Love that monster, but hardly drive it anymore, since I got a company car (& can't afford to tow, fuel prices). Sure makes quick work of picking up supplies at the hardware store or lumber yard for projects!
Yeah - we gotta have a truck. Primarily a guy thing, rooted in sandbox memories I reckon!

Mine's an '03 Silverado 1500 4x4 extended with sunroof and Delco/Bose system. Only put on about 5K miles in 2+ years of ownership, but I love it when I drive it. Used mostly now for the aforementioned "pick-ups" and hauling firewood out of the back 40 (well actually, more like 13) that I do 6-8 days a year in the fall. And I'm also in no hurry to unload this one. It's paid for...except for every time I pull up to the pump, that is...!

My thrills now come on the Harley (also rarely ridden, no excuse) or sometimes in my Outback, with that exhaust-driven dose of steroids known as turbocharging...!

I'm a member of the mGCC, and was very active in the Rocky Mountain Centre until we left Colorado.

The MGCC puts on a 250 mile rally every year. It is the oldest continuously run rally in the US. It tends to draw 150 cars, and about 2/3 are classic British. We get lots of MGs, Triumphs, Sunbeams, etc on the rally, but all of the Jags are either trailered up or go in convoy so they can help each other when someone breaks down. They are mostly there for the car show. That should say it all.

I am of the firm belief that we are at the tail end of the new golden age of sports cars. Anything performance based from the last ten years will outperform anything from the original golden era, and it will run 100k miles without having to tinker with it.

For the money you will have to put out for that Jag, you can get yourself a late model Corvette, Porsche (either Boxster or 911 based), BMW M roadster, Honda S2000 (2 of them actually), Acura NSX, WRX STi, Mitsubushi Evo, Miata (3 of them), etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Many of these cars have classic styling that IMHO match the Jag's without the hassle of actually owning one.

You can actually spend your time enjoying the car instead of fiddling with it, and that's a big deal to me. I've owned the classic Brit stuff, but my current stable includes a `1990 BMW 535 and a 2005 Acura RSX Type S. That Acura is as fast as I need with 210 HP in a Civic coupe chassis. And it goes around corners like it is on rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)