Securing my contracts

OkSatPro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
What way do you recomend in getting contracts to install .... I mean is there life or a business carreer of any sorts beyond working for my loacal shop here?

I worked as a General Contractor for over 20 years in residential construction.... Specializing in under-structural repair as well as foundation repair and remodeling...

I am used to running my own business and not working as a sub under others....

SO, it might be obvious I wish to pursue having my own Sat biz

My question is, are there really contracts out there enough to support a contractor and eventually a crew of subs?

IF so, where might I look as a good start to find the work and better pay?

OkSatPro said:

Ha! You are in satellites, where everything is bass-ackwards. As you gain more experience, you will find yourself making less and less money, while dish and directv push you to install higher quality---and more expensive---drop materials.

Seriously, though, if there are affluent neighborhoods around, you might try to work your way in with some high quality-high end electronics places and get you some high end custom work. Otherwise you'll be nickel and diming with the rest of us free install shmucks, out in the projects!

On the Directv side of the house, Perfect-10 and Metron have installation services. It is possible that the pro-site people may know of someone needing installations in you're area. Does DSI have an install service? Anybody know?

Then again, you could always become a dealer, and handle your own sales.

OkSatPro said:
What way do you recomend in getting contracts to install .... I mean is there life or a business carreer of any sorts beyond working for my loacal shop here?

I worked as a General Contractor for over 20 years in residential construction.... Specializing in under-structural repair as well as foundation repair and remodeling...

I am used to running my own business and not working as a sub under others....

SO, it might be obvious I wish to pursue having my own Sat biz

My question is, are there really contracts out there enough to support a contractor and eventually a crew of subs?

I know this. My employer had to jump through alot of hoops to become a DN sub....
Next, if there is a DN sub or Regional Service Provider in your area, forget it.....Unlike some on here, I like the business..However it is a job..And like any one of those it has it's drawbacks....
If you want to make $$ running coax.....Find a few home builders in your area that may be open to accepting a bid on the structred wiring in those new homes...Also, look toward doing custom installs..Ones where the cust pays for everything.....The high end electronics stores usually need people who can retro wire with out tearing up a house......Personally I don't care to do major retro fits.....Unless the cust is well informed that they will have to hire a drywall and paint contractor to come in after I'm done......I know of a company in my area that does just that..This guys does big time stuff.....included in his price is all painting and drywall repair..Cust agrees to all of this or he won't touch it.....He goes over every detail of the job before his crew gets there. And he has the cust sign off on everything before hand....That's the kind of work to go after.....This satellite business is a stepping stone for me....I have been in it 8 years and I am ready to move along.....Structured wiring is so much easier and much more lucrataive......

Really? What happened? I talked with them just over a year ago, but that's as far as it got. I was starting to get desperate, but thankfully, not THAT desperate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)