See the future of SatelliteGuys

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just a heads up, as you know SatelliteGuys aims to be the best at everything, we take great pride in our servers and for having all the latest and greatest features!

This message will give you an update and a look at the future of SatelliteGuys.

First the update...

Our new server has been completely configured and tweeked by Ler it is ready to go to our new ISP. The only think stopping it now is we are waiting for a battery backup board for our RAID controller. This battery backup will enable us to turn on the 128MB caching support that our RAID controller has, and in addtion if there is a power failure or glitch at our ISP all data will be safely written to the drives without the fear of corruption of data.

It is expected the new server will be at our new ISP by the weekend, from there we will move some of our sites to the new server. We will have all sites moved to the new server by the second to last week of June.

One thing I should add is this server is FAST, it makes this one look like its got a bad limp. :D

Now on the the FUTURE!

As you might have heard vBulletin 3.60 is now out in beta, SatelliteGuys plans on moving to this new groundbreaking software as soon as we can. When it comes out we will work to make sure all current features work in VB3.60 as they do now on our current software.

Feel free to take a look at the new software an demos of many of the new features by CLICKING HERE

When we do move to the software, the look of SatelliteGuys may change as we work to make SatelliteGuys look more professional and easier for you to use while giving you more features.

More updates as they become available! Thanks for being a SatelliteGuys member!

What's the idea behind the current server is slow? I really have no problem tolerating that quarter second while my post processes...

is was more of a financial decision. server will pay for itself in a couple of months. the money scott puts out of his own pocket to help run the site will be reduced greatly.

Purogamer said:
What's the idea behind the current server is slow? I really have no problem tolerating that quarter second while my post processes...
Based on a variety of posts, the new server was around $5,000. The current server was costing around $1200/month for equipment cost as well as rack space/bandwidth. The new server's rack space/bandwidth will be around $200. So based on that alone (leaving out additional performance), the server pays for itself in 5 months or so. The extra performance is icing on the cake.

The only thing I wonder about is does satellite guys have any type of maintenance plan? If one of those drives goes south or a stick of memory goes bad, I'd hate to see the site be down for a couple of days.

Yes we have a second server available to us in case of emergency and additionally our ISP stocks to common spare parts such as memory, power supplies and hard drives.

I agree about finally splitting sticky posts from regular posts...

I'm just trying to make sure nobody, especially scott, is worried about the speed of the site because there's nothing to worry about. Saving money is fine, speed shouldn't have had anything to do with the decision...

I've been playing with it for a few days... Lots of new toys in it. Most of the plug-ins for 3.5.4 will work. The best thing is vB finally included the warning system aka infraction system! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I asked this today and the answer is no. I started playing with 3.60 today. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)