Seek timer curiosity...

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
I was asked to help an RV'ing neighbor figure out how to set a seek timer on his H2 with the CUI for a big 4 network program where the channel number changes every time he changes his service address to get the locals at a new location. His wife asked that I use "Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers" on CBS as the program, since she's a big fan. Setting up a channel specific timer works fine, but when I tried to set a seek timer using "Search" and selecting the title, attempting to set the timer resulted in a "Failed to create... Try later..." error message. Repeated attempts got the same message. I wonder if the length of the title could be exceeding some arbitrary limit? With the new CUI, we can't use a partial title apparently, as we could previously. Admittedly, it's not a huge issue, but any thoughts or suggestions for a work around?

I don't have a hopper but I seem to remember when doing a search there is a selection to seek then "record when available?" Also way too many words. Try just Survivor: that colon should be enough to separate it from the other shows with Survivor as a name. You can try it with Heroes after the colon too but the less words the better unless you get too many wrong shows with the correct one.

If it's not in the EPG, it won't let you set a future recording as it used to in Name Based Recording. Except when, for some rare wild reason, it will. Rare, but seen.

I don't have a hopper but I seem to remember when doing a search there is a selection to seek then "record when available?" Also way too many words. Try just Survivor: that colon should be enough to separate it from the other shows with Survivor as a name. You can try it with Heroes after the colon too but the less words the better unless you get too many wrong shows with the correct one.
Prior to the new Hopper CUI "upgrade", yes, partial program names could be used for a Seek. Now it has to be the entire name as listed in the EPG. Entering a partial name only brings up a list of the possible matches and you have to choose one.

If it's not in the EPG, it won't let you set a future recording as it used to in Name Based Recording. Except when, for some rare wild reason, it will. Rare, but seen.
In this case, the program is listed in the EPG, and comes up in the list of matches when you search. The problem occurs when you select it and try to create the Seek timer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)