Self Install / Activation?

gcmcl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hoping to find out if I can sign-up for service and activate a new receiver over the phone (?) Or will I need an installer to come out?

I purchased my own equipment via the web and did a self install. They get a little picky on activation to ensure that you have good signals from all the appropriate satellites. Once you get past that and verify that you have good, rock solid signal levels, then the rest is a breeze.

Good to know, I'll be doing the same.

Stupid question, but how do they activate the unit? Is there a need for connection to a phone line?

Activation is over the sat. The phone line plays no part in activation. All it's used for is calling in PPV purchases and to make sure the receiver is where it's supposed to be.

I leased a 622 a couple of weeks ago and they sent it to me, I hooked up and called in to activate.

Hoping to find out if I can sign-up for service and activate a new receiver over the phone (?) Or will I need an installer to come out?

I am not sure if a retailer will sell you what you need to do a self install or not. I know it'd be nice if I roll up on a job and customer just wants to drop off the equipment which is fine, but the problem is that install is now in my tech code and if you have a problem with it, it now reflects back on me.

Most likely I am thinking a installer would have to come out.

Have all my equipment, just need to hookup and activate.

I'm assuming the national Dish Network customer service folks are the right ones to call? Not someone local?

I think it is 800-333-DISH, but the number is located in the receiver manual, somewhere in one of the menu, and when trying to select certain channels it will tell you to call the 800 number. Then just follow the prompts with a touch tone phone.

Just be prepared to set up an account by giving them a Name, SSN, Phone Number, Service Address with Zip Code, and if different - a Billing Address. They will also tell you to go into the menu to retrieve a couple of numbers from the receiver. They will probably ask what type of Dish antenna(s) you have, especially if you are looking for HD, Foreign Languages, etc...

If your Service Address Zip Code covers muliple locations, such as crosses two counties, then they may ask you what part of the Zip Code you are in. This is used to determine what programming (such as DNS, Locals, etc...) you can receive and which black outs apply to you.

PS -- They may also want a credit card number.
And I believe you are already aware that you need to be able to lock onto each of the satellites you are planning on receiving signals from.
If you have everything correct and having trouble with the CSR saying it won't work, just hang up and call back to start over.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts