Self Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I personally have DirecTV and have done several installs. A friend asked me to help install a Dish Network dish for them at a second home of theirs since I am very tech . Problem is, I know nothing about Dish.

They have a Superdish at their primary home and the Dish322 receiver. They plan to take their receiver with them to the second home when on vacation. They have an old Dish500. Will this work for the install or should they get a Superdish? They don't have DVR or HD and don't plan to get either anytime soon. We are looking for a quick easy setup. What channels are to be gained by using Superdish or Dish1000 instead of Dish500 in this setup. Our local's zip code is 54301.

Thanks in advance.

Superdish was used when some locals were on 121 or 105 (Green Bay being one of them)

121 & 105 arent used anymore so a D500 would work fine...what do they have for switches currently?

a D1000 gains 129 which has a couple public interest channels but that would be it for SD channels...its mainly used for HD

Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is no switches in place. I believe is is just 2 lines from the LNB to the receiver, then RCA to TV1 and RG6 to TV2. Does this sound correct?

It sounds like all SD and locals are on 119 and 110 satellites. The 129 is for HD. Knowing that the Dish500 will give me locals and SD programming on 119 and 110, would you suggest just going with Dish1000 over Dish500 right away to be prepaired if they do ever want HD on the 129? I see they are reasonably priced online.

It also sounds like they really don't need the larger Superdish any longer since the 121 and 105 are not being used.

Last edited:
If no switches I would get a Dish500 with DishPro Twin...then no check switch is needed because its the same setup

But if you must go with a D1000 then they have to do a check switch each time they move the receiver

What exactly is a "check switch"? Doesn't the Dish500 LNB have dual coax outputs that I can just run right to the receiver location for each of the tuners?

With my DirecTV equipment all I have to do is have dish installed at each location then bring the receiver and hook it up at whichever location I am at. Is it not that simple with Dish?

I know the spot beam here covers both locations. NE Wisconsin is big area and our local channels out of Green Bay, are considered local for a lot of counties here. Their cabin (vacation home) is only a hour or two away.

They do have Superdish now but, is there even a reason why would need it over Dish500 anymore with the other 2 birds not being used anymore by Dish?

A check switch refers to a option, found in the receiver menu under the signal pointing menu. Running the check switch causes the receiver to detect what switches and lnbs it is connected to and what orbitals are hooked up, and if they are hooked up correctly.

Unless you find a Dish 500 with a DP Twin for free, it is worth a little extra to go for a DPP Twin and not have to run a second cable. With a DP Twin you must run a cable for each tuner. With the DPP Twin you can serve up two receivers with up to two tuners each; no switches required.

Legacy equipment is overrated.

Unless you find a Dish 500 with a DP Twin for free, it is worth a little extra to go for a DPP Twin and not have to run a second cable. With a DP Twin you must run a cable for each tuner. With the DPP Twin you can serve up two receivers with up to two tuners each; no switches required.

Legacy equipment is overrated.

They have the Dish500 already. I just will have to check if it has "DP" or "DPP". From what I understand the "DPP" is like a single wire setup simular to DirecTV's SWM where you can use a splitter inside and just run 1 wire to each dual tuner box limited to a total of 4 turners though.

Will the LNB indicate "DP" or "DPP"? Please understand, I haven't seen the dish or equipment yet. I am trying to prepare myself ahead of time.

Thanks again, all posts so far have been very helpfull.

Dish Pro wil have a black DP on the front of the LNB. Dish Pro Plus stuff will have a DPP or maybe its just a DP and then plus written under. I cant remember for sure. A DPP twin is easily id'ed also as it will have 2 lnb out coax ports close together on one side and a single lnb in coax port on the opposite end. A DP twin will have 2 coaxial connections. And yes DPP will allow you to run one wire, and can be used with a DPP seperator. The seperators will not work with DP stuff though.

Dish Pro wil have a black DP on the front of the LNB. Dish Pro Plus stuff will have a DPP or maybe its just a DP and then plus written under. I cant remember for sure. A DPP twin is easily id'ed also as it will have 2 lnb out coax ports close together on one side and a single lnb in coax port on the opposite end. A DP twin will have 2 coaxial connections. And yes DPP will allow you to run one wire, and can be used with a DPP seperator. The seperators will not work with DP stuff though.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to check out what they have.

From what I understand the "DPP" is like a single wire setup simular to DirecTV's SWM where you can use a splitter inside and just run 1 wire to each dual tuner box limited to a total of 4 turners though.
Your understanding is incorrect. DPP allows you to home run one cable per receiver. Splitters are not allowed. A device called a "separator" is required for two tuners.

Unlike SWM, DPP is supported by all DISH Network receivers.

Your understanding is incorrect. DPP allows you to home run one cable per receiver. Splitters are not allowed. A device called a "separator" is required for two tuners.

Unlike SWM, DPP is supported by all DISH Network receivers.

Thanks for clearing this up. I'll have to see if it a DP or DPP setup and go from there.

Just doing some additional research online, I see the Dish Pro (DP) LNB has 2 outputs while the Dish Pro Plus (DPP) has 3 outputs. If I understand correctly, this means in theory the dP LNB would allow for a max of 2 turners while the DPP would allow for a max of 6 tuners (using seperators)?

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing this up. I'll have to see if it a DP or DPP setup and go from there.

Just doing some additional research online, I see the Dish Pro (DP) LNB has 2 outputs while the Dish Pro Plus (DPP) has 3 outputs. If I understand correctly, this means in theory the dP LNB would allow for a max of 2 turners while the DPP would allow for a max of 6 tuners (using seperators)?

nope, the DPP twin has 3 ports, but one of them is an input for an additional satellite locations, ie 61.5, 129, ect.
it only has 2 outputs

Ok I think I got it all figured out, so the DPP has a max of 4 turners and the DP has a max of 2. The DPP also allows for only needing 1 line to each reciever then using a seperator to feed the 2 tuners at each receiver right?

Ok I think I got it all figured out, so the DPP has a max of 4 turners and the DP has a max of 2.
The DPP Twin supports a maximum of four tuners. Each DPP output can drive up to two tuners.
The DPP also allows for only needing 1 line to each reciever then using a seperator to feed the 2 tuners at each receiver right?
Yes indeed!

Note that there are also DPP33 and DPP44 switches. These switches can take inputs from any kind of DISH Network LNB (including legacy if you have at least one non-legacy LNB) and provide DPP outputs.

For my own use, I bought a used DPP Twin to replace the DP Twin on my Dish 500 and it cost me $18.61 (including $10 shipping).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)