Selling of Owned Dish Receivers

rglasco101

Original poster
Jun 16, 2023
Tulsa, OK
I just canceled my service with dish due to not really watching it any longer and poor signal, 2 dish techs told me that I would need to cut down trees to get proper signal. I own the Hopper 3 and 2 joey's and they tried to tell me that I could not sell them. anyone heard anything like this? I think it is crazy that they tell me I am unable to sell something that I own.

this was after they were asking for shipping address and I told them they dont need to ship anything as I owned all equipment, which they then confirmed. took 30 minutes to get them to finally cancel, was offering discounts and to suspend service, finally told them the only way I would stay is if they covered the $6000 cost of tree removal

Just to make sure, you actually paid for the receivers? Which new would of been around $450 plus tax for all three. Reason I ask is because as a tech I've had so many customers tell me they own the equipment and purchased them but the system shows them as leased. And the reason they think they are purchased receivers us because they paid $100-150 in upgrade fees at some point. I know you said agent confirmed but sometimes they just say stuff because they don't understand what you're talking about.

If the receivers are indeed purchased then absolutely you can sell them as long as they have been deactivated from your account.

Just to make sure, you actually paid for the receivers? Which new would of been around $450 plus tax for all three. Reason I ask is because as a tech I've had so many customers tell me they own the equipment and purchased them but the system shows them as leased. And the reason they think they are purchased receivers us because they paid $100-150 in upgrade fees at some point. I know you said agent confirmed but sometimes they just say stuff because they don't understand what you're talking about.

If the receivers are indeed purchased then absolutely you can sell them as long as they have been deactivated from your account.
And if you have a sales slip from when and where you purchased them it could be helpful.

Tip: If you login to your Dish account online and click the equipment tab, it will show if your equipment is purchased or leased. Any time I add new equipment I double check to make sure it was added correctly - it's a lot easier to get it fixed right away than down the line.

Over 10 years ago I sold a purchased receiver, off my account and no balance due to a fellow Satguy, when he called to activate it they told him it was leased! Luckily he was cool about it and gave me a couple days to deal with dish and get it straightened out. iirc I had to fax the receipt to them.

Tip: If you login to your Dish account online and click the equipment tab, it will show if your equipment is purchased or leased. Any time I add new equipment I double check to make sure it was added correctly - it's a lot easier to get it fixed right away than down the line.

Over 10 years ago I sold a purchased receiver, off my account and no balance due to a fellow Satguy, when he called to activate it they told him it was leased! Luckily he was cool about it and gave me a couple days to deal with dish and get it straightened out. iirc I had to fax the receipt to them.
Years ago (the 510 era) I purchased a couple of receivers. When I activated them, I repeatedly told the CSR they were customer owned. When I checked later, sure enough, they were listed as leased instead. It took me a week to get that fixed. When I checked again the next month, they were mysteriously converted back to leased and took another week to fix. This went on every month for six months until I got to a CSR manager and gently implied that Dish was trying to steal my recorders and why would Dish do that. That mistake never happened again.

Last edited:
Years ago (the 510 era) I purchased a couple of receivers. When I activated them, I repeatedly told the CSR they were customer owned. When I checked later, sure enough, they were listed as leased Instead. It took me a week to get that fixed. When I checked again the next month, they were mysteriously converted back to leased and took another week to fix. This went on every month for six months until I got to a CSR manager and gently implied that Dish was trying to steal my recorders and why would Dish do that. That mistake never happened again.

I wasn't planning to get into that much detail, but you're telling a story I lived. I'm a long time dish customer that has always owned my equipment.

I wasn't planning to get into that much detail, but you're telling a story I lived. I'm a long time dish customer that has always owned my equipment.
That was back in the day when owning your equipment was even more rare than it is today. It seemed that Dish had some monthly automated process that would go through customer profiles and “correct” owned settings to leased because that had to be a mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts