Selling Sling adapter

jrmy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Iowa
Since I upgraded to the 922 I would like to get rid of my Sling adapter.

Is it tied to my account in any way, or can I just throw it on eBay?

Might want to hold on to it for a while, in case you decide to move from the 922 to a 722(K). You wouldn't be the first.

Ok, that doesn't answer my question.

You must be one of those who discouraged me from getting this great upgrade months ago. :cool:

keeping in mind the OP's other thread.. he may just enjoy it and take the bumps and bruises with it..

I would love to have a larger internal drive ... but I'm not trusting of the 922 after the last 8 months of posts have been accounted for, nor am I that willing to accept a menu system like it has ... no hard set menu option numbers, leaves me with the impression I'd be cursoring around everywhere, and I do *not* like the idea of graphical logos in my guide ... there's enough space waste there already.. and of course the 4 dollars more per month ... for no reason.

There's not anything I've seen of a 922 that makes sense to charging more per month for the box. The UI? so you think its fair to pay more because it looks pretty? let me get you a match, you can light your 4 bucks a month on fire just as happily. They certainly haven't dedicated any additional resources to the 922 ... or not as has been seen from the outside (BBMP?)

Glad the OP enjoys it ... and hope he does for some time, but if it crashes as badly as anyone elses' or shows the problems, lags behind, etc like the others have had happen, at least we'll all know "we told you so".

no hard set menu option numbers, leaves me with the impression I'd be cursoring around everywhere

Maybe you are used to pressing numbers, but I certainly never used them . The menus are better laid out as well , so there is less need to go through them. Additionally, there is one button access to the DVR menu, which is what I use the most anyway.

I do *not* like the idea of graphical logos in my guide ... there's enough space waste there already..

I found that there isn't any wasted space. Once you see the guide in HD, you realize there's simply more room for things like logos. And they look great! It's also quite nice to be able to position the guide (left and right and zoom in and out) so that it fits your TV perfectly and there isn't anything wasted.

There's not anything I've seen of a 922 that makes sense to charging more per month for the box. The UI? so you think its fair to pay more because it looks pretty? let me get you a match, you can light your 4 bucks a month on fire just as happily. They certainly haven't dedicated any additional resources to the 922 ... or not as has been seen from the outside (BBMP?)

I don't like that I have to pay an extra $4, but over the course of the rest of my 2 year contract it comes out to about $70. I'm over it already.

A feature that I missed very much from DirecTV is that program boxes don't extend to :30, for instance, if the show ends at :15. It makes it much, much easier to see at a glance how much time is left in a movie or anything that starts or ends at an odd time.

Maybe you are used to pressing numbers, but I certainly never used them . The menus are better laid out as well , so there is less need to go through them. Additionally, there is one button access to the DVR menu, which is what I use the most anyway.
Its not that I'm use to pressing numbers.. but its faster to recognize Menu-8 .. preferences, or Menu-6 system setup .. etc.. than menu, cursor, cursor, cursor.. etc..

And when you go through tech support, or need to get to dish pointing for yourself... they rattle off menu # combinations (their interactive menus have them listed at the bottom of the screen) 6-1-1 is faster to get there than menu and cursoring everywhere and its less problematic if you can give straight number combo's to someone to get them to the exact screen you want them in.

The UI for the 922 .. yes pretty .. some features are nice.. some of the extended info for shows is nice ... but like you said.. 70 dollars for you on 2 years for others it would be 96 dollars (2 years @ +$4), and if you're doing the 49.99 package, thats nearly two months worth of service ... I'm also guessing you didn't have to pay the 200 to upgrade.

So the total combined, before Dish became so generous .. is roughly 300 bucks. And I'm not being bitter about the costs ... clearly I don't want one, its just that with the 922's past there *is* reason to warn people for cost and failures all for a "pretty" UI as the only substantial benefit.

last part though ... not sure I follow about that "one button for DVR" .. its marked pretty clearly on the 722's remotes too, double press the DVR button, woot there it is. :) (sorry there's no "party over here" smiley icon)

Last edited:
:D

b0aee16f.gif

First I have to say the advice given is good, wait a little before selling it. 922 has some nice looking features, but overall the 722K to me is actually better to navigate. On the 612 I know all the menu numbers and just hit them for what I want without even looking at the screen. OP said doesn't answer the question, it does just in a different way than expected!

That said, you may very well love the 922, You only get one free sling adapter that might be why people buy them on Ebay. So you may eventually get another 722K and want that one. At the least, what's the harm of waiting a little and see?

You only get one free sling adapter that might be why people buy them on Ebay. So you may eventually get another 722K and want that one. At the least, what's the harm of waiting a little and see?

Well I got mine before there were free. So if I ever wanted a new one it will hopefully still be free.

I'm also guessing you didn't have to pay the 200 to upgrade.

You're right, I paid $485 at Solid Signal.

I'd give you $25 for it. Then you can take $20 of it & get a pub membership. What do you say?

Last edited: