(Semi)-Live Feed from DISH CES Newsconference

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Tulsa
Go here (clicky) to read. Engadget has attendees in all the major events that give real time updates.

Started at 10am PST, so barely in progress at this point.

ViP 22-1 will have 500 GB HD and support VC-1 for VOD. Supports off the shelf USB HD for extra storage.

Compatibilty of the USB Hard Drives, it has worked with every unit tested, but they plan to test more.
Are there any capacity issues, currently the 1TB unit doesn't work, but they plan to release updates to support larger units.
Drive will be locked to your system to protect content. There will be a repair method in the vent of STB failure.

Is it possible to deliver local content via IP?
They don't believe IP can help on locals because of the demand, it will be more used for less popular content.
In other words, they can't afford the bandwidth to stream Network programming, so they will use it for PPV, etc.

Is there a possibility of a merger between Dish and DIRECTV,
From Charlie: It is on the table, but will take all of 2007 to figure it out.

Last edited:
Off the shelf USB HD!

"ViP 22-1 will have 500 GB HD and support VC-1 for VOD. Supports off the shelf USB HD for extra storage".

Well maybe there is still hope fo rus poor schmucks with only Vip 622's :)

"Drive will be locked to your system to protect content. There will be a repair method in the vent of STB failure."

OK so far, then>>>

"They expect a mid-year release." :(

WOW Dish really knows how to milk a not yet available feature for years!

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
"ViP 22-1 will have 500 GB HD and support VC-1 for VOD. Supports off the shelf USB HD for extra storage". Well maybe there is still hope fo rus poor schmucks with only Vip 622's :)

"Drive will be locked to your system to protect content. There will be a repair method in the vent of STB failure."

Good so far, then>>>

"They expect a mid-year release." :(

Boy Dish really knows how to milk a not yet avialble feature for years!

Talon Dancer

well, there is the possibility that release date is for the hardware, and that they could roll out the software update to existing 622s at an earlier date.

well, there is the possibility that release date is for the hardware, and that they could roll out the software update to existing 622s at an earlier date.
True. The engadget reporter may not have realised that neuance migh tbe important.

But I don't think I'll check my ViP622 for software updates just yet:)

Talon Dancer

If the Vip 22 is a different receiver, did the 622 just become the new 921? (Where they can't wait to ignore it for new features -- Can VC-1 only HD channels be coming? -- But we'll upgrade you for $299 and a 2 yr. commitment)

I don't think this is a 622, unless they are doing a Dishplayer thing here and having two different capacities in the same shell.... (or was the smaller drive in the 7100, and the larger was in the 7200? I can't remember.... I only had the 7200)

1 wire from the Dish compared to the 4 that D* requires?

This is misleading in a way. This is true in a sense. 1 wire from the dish in only two cases:

(1) If you only need one receiver / tuner
(2) If you only need one dual tuner receiver using the DPP twin lnbf

You will need two wires in the following cases:

(1) If you need more than one single tuner receiver
(2) If you need more than one dual tuner receiver
(3) If you need to have a second dish at another location to receive the low look angle of 129 satellite or have issues receiving signals from all satellites at the same location
(4) If you need to have four or more satellite locations.
(5) If you need more than two receivers in your house.

I believe the reference is to the installation of an HD DVR. Dish's Vip622 and Vip622-1 only require 1 wire to connect to the system.

One note.... It only needs one wire if you have newer switches and LNBs. I've still got 2 SW64s feeding my 5 receivers, so make sure any of you longstanding E* subscribers are aware of that before you upgrade from a single tuner box to a dual tuner box.... You'll still need two feeds in that case (DON'T use the splitter that comes with it unless you have the newer switches and LNBs)

My apologies,... old habit.... a device with one coaxial port on one side and two on the other was called a splitter the last time I bought one at Radio Shack to split my old cable feed .....

So what exactly is the difference, that makes it a "separator" and not a "splitter?" Does it just "unstack" the bands? Pass certain voltages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)