Send signal to HD Monitor

deklin818

Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
palatine, il
I have a 622 that sends the 2nd tuner output to an upstairs bedroom via coax and no box. Because monitors are so much cheaper these days than TV's, I would like to know if there's a way to send the signal via the coax cable and convert it to HDMI so I can buy a HDMI monitor instead. We currently have a little 20" TV in there and would like to get something bigger without the cost. Any suggestions?

No can do. TV2 needs a tuner to select a channel that the modulated signal is sent to.

Well, he probably can do it. But my wag is that the equipment needed, in addition to being a mess and a PITA to set up, will be more expensive than the amount he's saving buying a monitor rather than a TV.

Plus analog RF output is the crappiest of SD outputs. The thought of converting that to HDMI makes me cringe.

Tuner 2 is a SD output so the max resolution is 480 lines. I've got a Panasonic DVD recorder that has both NTSC & ATSC tuners built in and it can output on HDMI. It was about $350 when new. So I guess for around $350 he could convert his 480 lines of resolution to display on a monitor, or for about $100 he could get a 211 HDTV receiver and connect directly to his monitor.

I use a upconverting RCA dvd recorder with an analog tuner in it. We run the coax into the bedroom and to the dvd recorder. It has hdmi output and upconverts to 720p or 1080i. It also has digital sound through Digital coax hooked into my bedroom a/v receiver. It gives me near hd look on all my channels hooked up and sounds great with my RCA 5.1 a/v receiver. My 722k uhf remote control can control everything from the tv , the dvd recorder and the a/v receiver. Works great for our needs and we often will watch in the bedroom since we have a 26" Toshiba hd tube tv. The picture looks pretty damn sharp. I often wonder why DISH doesn't come up with something similar for tv2 using coax on their hd receivers. Supposedly they can do hd over coax right now. They could even make it work in hd over coax ONLY with an add on receiver similar to the dvd recorder. It sure would solve the problem about having hd on tv 2 if they came up with this kind of solution.

Well, if the OP wants to low-ball this, he doesn't want HDMI at all. All he wants to use is a computer monitor rather than a TV. The cheapest of these do not have HDMI, nor even DVI-D, but rather VGA. Since he wants to use a single coax, then an NTSC tuner that has VGA output is all that is needed. I bought one for about $25 back when they were worth something. Now that most NTSC has gone away and these should be cheap, I can't find even one!

Thanks for all the input

I guess I will probably have to spring for a TV rather than a monitor, which is sad because monitors are getting cheaper all the time and have great resolution. Also, how often do you really need a tuner these days?

I guess I will probably have to spring for a TV rather than a monitor, which is sad because monitors are getting cheaper all the time and have great resolution. Also, how often do you really need a tuner these days?
Pretty much never since we have satellite. I agree with your idea about saving money, though, and most modern computer monitors come with digital inputs to facilitate this alternate use. One of my HDTV's is a Samsung TOC monitor w/ATSC tuner. So it's almost a TV and has HDMI inputs. We drive it with a VIP612 which has HDMI output, and that works well both as a TV and a monitor.

The problem as I see it is your reliance on coax. That is standard def and analog. The number of computer monitors that have A/V (analog) inputs is miniscule. And if it has an RF input, it's either ATSC-only (like my Samsung) or else is called a "TV." :(

I use a upconverting RCA dvd recorder with an analog tuner in it. We run the coax into the bedroom and to the dvd recorder. It has hdmi output and upconverts to 720p or 1080i. It also has digital sound through Digital coax hooked into my bedroom a/v receiver. It gives me near hd look on all my channels hooked up and sounds great with my RCA 5.1 a/v receiver.
Despite the upconverting, the picture quality really isn't any better than source which is just 480i (and not even good 480i since it modulated). That said on 32" or smaller screen it probably doesn't look too bad, but going between it and real HD you would see an large, obvious difference in picture quality. As for the sound, it's only regular stereo on the coax so you're not getting true 5.1 surround sound (instead the DVD recorder is just matrixing the stereo signal into some virtual surround sound).

In theory HD can be coax (using QAM modulation), but we will probably never see it because that signal doesn't offer any copy protection. Also, currently real-time QAM modulators aren't cheap (like NTSC modulators).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=143746deklin818,
I considered using a HD Monitor in my kitchen, but most don't have speakers and those that do have decent ones are about as much as a HDTV. So I opted for the latter. Keep in mind as long as you have the ability to run a wire, you can run a long HDMI cable (checkout monoprice.com). I have a 40ft one running to my kitchen TV.

Despite the upconverting, the picture quality really isn't any better than source which is just 480i (and not even good 480i since it modulated). That said on 32" or smaller screen it probably doesn't look too bad, but going between it and real HD you would see an large, obvious difference in picture quality. As for the sound, it's only regular stereo on the coax so you're not getting true 5.1 surround sound (instead the DVD recorder is just matrixing the stereo signal into some virtual surround sound).

In theory HD can be coax (using QAM modulation), but we will probably never see it because that signal doesn't offer any copy protection. Also, currently real-time QAM modulators aren't cheap (like NTSC modulators).

The picture looks very good compared to straight coax into the tv. the pq looks near high def on high def shows. Not the same but quite good. The sound is not 5.1 but I have the sound being fed to 5 speakers and it is a simulated surround sound. It is a definite improvement over just sd being fed to the tv.

As to hd over coax , why can't DISH use an upconverting box similar to the dvd recorder and let you see the hd on that box and only with that box over coax? I can see DISH allowing you to use these upcoverting boxes on all the HD tvs in your house so you could see hd . Then they could allow you to change the menu in your receiver so that tv 2 could be in hd over the coax or leave it in sd. It would be cool if DISH did this and would give them an edge over the competition-Directv who makes you have a separate receiver on each of your tvs. OF course I can see DISH trying to charge you a monthly FEE for each box you take on your extra tvs , but They wouldn't make you pay another dvr fee since it is one dual tuner receiver you are using.

The picture looks very good compared to straight coax into the tv. the pq looks near high def on high def shows.
The upconverter in your DVD Recorder must be considerably better than the on in your TV. Is the TV older perhaps? Upconverters can do a pretty decent job when the original signal is good -- like when you are tuned to a HD channel.

The upconverter in your DVD Recorder must be considerably better than the on in your TV. Is the TV older perhaps? Upconverters can do a pretty decent job when the original signal is good -- like when you are tuned to a HD channel.

The tv is a 26" Toshiba hd tube tv from 2004. It is considerably older than my new toshiba 42" flat screen in the living room. The main problem I have with this tv is that it is supposed to be able to do 720p AND 1080i. Any time I use 1080i setting, whether its a sat receiver, the dtv pal plus dvr, or the dvd recorder using hdmi or any number of hdmi cables, I get a screwed up picture with a black bars in the picture. So I have to use 720p. The picture looks almost like hd from where we sit in the bed watching about 12 feet away ,using the dvd recorder.

The tv is a 26" Toshiba hd tube tv from 2004. It is considerably older than my new toshiba 42" flat screen in the living room. The main problem I have with this tv is that it is supposed to be able to do 720p AND 1080i. Any time I use 1080i setting, whether its a sat receiver, the dtv pal plus dvr, or the dvd recorder using hdmi or any number of hdmi cables, I get a screwed up picture with a black bars in the picture. So I have to use 720p. The picture looks almost like hd from where we sit in the bed watching about 12 feet away ,using the dvd recorder.
That explains quite a bit. That older set will definitely have a sub-par upconverter in it compared to a newer DVD player/recorder, and since it's only a 26" screen and you are setting a good distant way then I can understand how the picture can still look pretty decent (with your somewhat unique setup). It also probably helps that your HDTV is a tube rather than a fixed-pixel flat panel display.

Last edited:
Despite the upconverting, the picture quality really isn't any better than source which is just 480i (and not even good 480i since it modulated).

That was my experience. I hooked up my 625 to my LG DVD Recorder and then had it upconvert the picture to 720P via HDMI to my 37" HDTV. The picture didn't look any better. The thing was very good at upconverting DVDs, analog signals not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)