Sensar II - Originally installed with Voom...now used with Dish 811?

nlrobert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Ok...I tried out Voom for a few months while I was waiting on my Dish 811 to arrive. I ended up canceling Voom, but they let me keep the Voom dish and OTA antenna (Sensar II). So, I used the Sensar II OTA antenna provided by Voom for my 811. Things seemed to be fine but I lost my OTA signals a few weeks ago (not sure when exactly). I have read numerous posts about the 811 issues and the multi-path problems, so I called Dish and they are sending me a new 811 unit.

Outside of the new 811 receiver, I have been trying to find some information on the Sensar II antenna and how to install/aim it. I have read that the antenna is amplified but a diplexer must be used in line to allow the amplification to occur. I do recall that when the voom installer came to pick up the receiver after cancellation, he removed a small black box that was connected to the antenna coax line. I now believe this was the diplexer that was used for the amplification process.

First, is it true that I have to have a diplexer on the line in order to amplify the antenna. I have the antenna connected to a Dish 811 now, so will the amplification even work now? I am not sure if the Voom receiver had built in amplification hardware that the Dish 811 doesn't.

If the diplexer is required, would its removal be causing the signal loss issues? All of my tower broadcast locations are roughly 14 to 15 miles away and the major affiliates are all at the same compass orientation. I would think that an unamplified antenna would pick up these broadcasts with no issues at all.

If I do need the Diplexer, what type do I need and where can I get one.

Second, how do I make sure the Sensar II is aimed in the right direction. I know how to read a compass and I have checked out antennaweb.org to identify the specific directional map related to my location. However, I cannot find any documentation on how to specifically aim the antenna. Right now it seems to be aligned so that the right blade end is pointed in the direction of the broadcast towers (The Winegard logo on the front of the antenna is facing 90 degrees away from the broadcast tower locations). Is this the correct method for aiming the antenna. I noticed a circle on the bottom of the antenna that has several numbers around the edge and a small line with an arrow running through the middle. I wasn't sure if this had something to do with the aiming or not.

If anyone can tell me if the Sensar II will work adequately with the Dish 811 I would be very appreciative. Any help with the diplexer/amplification and aiming questions would also be great.

Thanks!

You should have a small black box which is your power supply. This is what the Voom installer probably took. It has a power cord, and two F81 (coax) connections. It also has a red light that powers when connected. The part number is PS-9370.

The diplexer allows you to use the satellite receiver to power the preamp built into the antenna, and run both signals through one cable. With DISH's multi satellite setup, you do not want to use the receiver to power the antenna, as it will interfere with your multiswitch. Therefore, you do not need the diplexer. If the antenna is not powered, it will not work, no matter how close you are to the towers, as the preamp actually blocks the signal unless powered. So you need the power supply. For best results, use a seperate dedicated cable for your Dish antenna and your Sensar II.

Do a Google search for PS-9370 to purchase the power supply. The antenna, of course, is made by Winegard. The power supply should run less than $30 + tax and shipping.

Best of luck

Al

One more thing. To aim the antenna, you will aim the antenna toward the broadcast tower with the antenna wings 90 degrees left and right of line of sight. The Winegard logo should face the towers.

Al

I am 100% sure that a power supply was never used. There is no power outlet in the area of the antenna and there was no power supply used inside the house either. I also do not see anywhere on the antenna that a power supply would connect. I looked at the antenna and I do not see any model type information, but I assumed it was a DS-2000 based on the VOOM FAQ page on this website and the pictures of the Sensar II antennas I have found on the web. There is a sticker on the underside of the antenna that reads "Amplified".

So based on your comments, are you saying that the Voom receiver was amplifying the signal instead of using a secondary power source and the Dish reciever does not provide that capability? That being the case, I need to get the power source to amplify the signal now that the Voom receiver is no being used.

I can receiver one OTA digital feed with no issues, but you indicated that I couldn't receiver any OTA signal if the amplification wasn't in place.

Thanks

Also, I do have separate lines for the Antenna and the Dish Satellite. I made sure I kept them separate to ensure no issues with the two signals. So, I have the line from the Antenna coming directly into the 811 with nothing in between (Except a single splitter which is grounded outside and connects the antenna line to the line coming into the house).

I also looked up that power supply part number mentioned above and I for sure did not have a power supply in my intial voom setup.

I think I get the picture though and will need to get the power supply now. However, I do get the one OTA digital feed at about 75%. So, should that be happening if the antenna is not being powered?

Thanks

An amplified antenna typically will not work if it is not powered. The station you are receiving may be powerful enough that your coax running to the antenna is acting as an antenna itself.

Yes, your Voom receiver probably was powering the antenna. A DBS receiver of any kind output between 13V and 18V, in order to power the LNBF. As this voltage is within the tolerances of the antenna preamp, it can also power the preamp.

You DO NOT want to use the 811 to power the preamp if you are using a Dish 500 antenna, or any other type of multi satellite setup, as powering the antenna could mess up the polarity switching with the LNBF's.

I am trying to think of a way to temporally use the 811 to power the antenna to make sure it is the power supply, but the problem is that the 811 requires a satellite connection in order to use the OTA, so it may be less complicated just to buy a power supply, and if it doesn't work, just return it.

I am close to 100% sure the lack of a power supply is the problem. The power supply is inserted inside your home, typically behind your tv. The OTA cable would run from the 811 into the power supply, then out to the antenna itself. The power supply also plugs into a 110 outlet.

If you have trouble getting a power supply, let me know, and I can see what I can do to help you out.

Good Luck.

Al

Sounds good. Your description is basically what I had in mind after reading the earlier comments. I will see if I can locate the powersupply and hopefully that will make the difference.

Thanks for your assistance.

nlrobert said:
Sounds good. Your description is basically what I had in mind after reading the earlier comments. I will see if I can locate the powersupply and hopefully that will make the difference.

Thanks for your assistance.
You could also look for a GS-1000 it is the same antenna without the amplifier circuitry built in. It should work very well in the 15 mile range without the amplifier and cost about the same as the power supply. :)

VOOM does not ship power supplies with Sensar II. In their standard configuration, the DC voltage supplied to the LNB via the RG6 cable, powers the antenna. So, you need to buy your own PS-9370, as Al suggested:

I ordered the powersupply and it should be here today. I believe that will corect things and hopefully help pull in even more channels.

Thanks

Nile

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)