Separate local HD channels missing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PACKERFAN58

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
illinois
I have just purchased a HD tv. Some time ago there were digital channels in the 7400 area but now they are not there. I wanted to see if these channels were broadcasting in HD.

The DirectTv webpage lists our local channels both as SD and HD. Was this just a temporary change while the local channels were going HD? Do I need the Free 72 local swap as listed on the DirectTv webpage?

Thanks,

Ron
Champaign-Urbana Local Area

What receiver and dish setup do you have?

The 72W stuff Directv has been upgrading folks for free to HD setups for a while now

I think the OP is VERY confused, as those channels in the 7400 range are our local channels alright - but on DISH network! :eek:
(our SD locals for DISH, on their non-map down positions, are 7400-7408, while the 4 HD locals are 5250-5253)

DirecTV has NEVER had them in that range & has ALWAYS had them on their actual numbers (3, 12, 17, etc.) since the first day they have carried them here.

As far as 72.5 SD locals here - D* has been in the process of swapping ALL 72.5 subs to Ka/HD feeds, for the past few months, & already sent notices out to all affected subs. Except for 49 & 51, all of the rest of our local channels are in HD on DirecTV.
If you have NOT called to have this done, you need to do so, as they will be shutting down 72.5 by the end of this year.

Last edited:
I hate to disagree but when I first got Directv there were digital channels starting at 7405 for wcia, wics, will, wcfn, wand.

D* has some channels in the 9000 range, would that be what you were thinking about.
I don't know what your looking for exactly, but the ones in the 9000 are usually test channels and the others you may find up there, may be there one day and gone the next.

What's wrong with watching your locals on their local channel ?
Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

well I thought locals were uplinked to one channel number and then mirrored to their correct (normal) channel number.

On the really old models they were in the 900's (not 9000) but that is a long time ago. I threw out an old RCA receiver that was like that. IN the 900's and the normal numbers

I hate to disagree but when I first got Directv there were digital channels starting at 7405 for wcia, wics, will, wcfn, wand.

Fine, but it still doesn't change the facts that D* never, ever, at ANY time, had them here on those numbers. D* has never, ever, at ANY time, even used 4-digit numbers for locals. As others already stated, they DO use 800-900's for locals, but ONLY IN SOME MARKETS that are up on the 101 bird. But it was NEVER done like that in our market, as D* ALWAYS required receivers w/the APG to even get locals, since they were first put on the 72.5 slot. Those receivers have ALWAYS remapped our locals to their OTA numbering, so you do not even see the actual (non-mapped) channel #'s in the guide.

You are thinking of the locals on DISH, plain & simple. But as others already stated, what difference does it even make?
I already gave you the exact, correct channel listings for both SD & HD locals on DISH - you can even go into their website & verify this for yourself, if you still don't believe me. (which just happen to match your posting, hmm...)

And as far as D* goes - you are already upgraded with everything you need for when they shut down 72.5 at the end of the year. But now, you have to understand that in our market & ALL others like ours with locals ONLY in Ka, D* will NO longer even be broadcasting an SD copy of any local channels that are broadcast in HD, after they shut down the 72.5 bird. THAT is why they now require ALL subs - even those WITHOUT HD access, to have HD receivers & dishes in these local markets. Matter of fact, D* already stopped even installing the 2nd 18" dish f/72.5 for new & mover subs, for well over a year now. Since you did NOT mention having a 72.5 dish, you are NOT even getting the SD copies of our locals now.

If you are an SD only sub, then D* locks your receiver(s) down to 480p, so that even though you are actually watching an HD feed of our locals, they are actually being "downconverted" back to SD. Any local channels that are NOT broadcast in HD (eg: 49 & 51 here locally) are simply put up in MPEG4 SD Ka, so they too, can be received properly, along with all our HD locals. If you want to see our locals in HD, then you simply need to add HD access to your account; you ARE aware that you CAN get it FREE for 2 years as an existing sub. Do a search on here for it, but basically you need a minimum of Total Choice Plus, or Choice Xtra & higher pkg, & agree to autopay.

(& BTW, I've been a local dealer for both E* & D* for years, even BEFORE we actually had locals, so you can take everything I said about locals to the bank...)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)