Series 2 TIVO's SD/HD (DirecTV) 6.4a Software Update - Now Includes DVR Scheduler!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV is rolling new software to series 2 Tivo's starting this week.

This update will enable the Tivo to use DVR scheduler through the TV LIstings on directv.com, or the mobile version on m.directv.com

Here are the release nots:

Series 2 DirecTivos (SD and HD): 6.4a
National release began May 28, 2008.

• Fixes for Service Labels
  • 24 HR Rental Support
  • Deleted Items Folder
  • Overlap Protection
  • Remote Booking (DVR Scheduler)

DVR Scheduler may not be available immediately.

Wow, Thats news Jason. Speculating a little. Maybe we will see a new Tivo HD box in Mpeg 4 in the future? I know alot of the Tivo fanatics have been requesting it, Maybe there is a deal in the works! Good news for those folks who has these tivo recivers as you will enjoy it. DVR Scheduler has saved my butt a few times as well as the full remote scheduling from Directv.com :)

Bob, while it is "possible" - I think it is fair to say nothing is immenient.

That was asked on a recent investor call "current relationship with Tivo?" They basically answered they maintain their partnership and are open to future posibilites, but are happy with their product developments without them, or something to that extent.

It left me with the impression that they will not be shutting off existing Tivo products, but not to expect anything new.

That said, if Tivo ever made "The offer you can't refuse"...something could change :)

Got the update, now what do I need to get remote booking to work?

I assume some kind of USB network adapter. Which ones work?

I would love to see a new HD Tivo for Directv, but I don't think it will happen.

Got the update, now what do I need to get remote booking to work?

I assume some kind of USB network adapter. Which ones work?

You use the Directv web site for scheduling remote recordings. Those updates are sent via the Satellite only. On the DTV tivo units the network\usb ports are not likely to ever work. So the only thing you really need is a phone line so the new 6.4a software will get installed.

I expected to hear substantially more screaming bloody murder about the 24 hour PPV expiry than praise for adding the remote scheduling option.

As for a next-gen DirecTiVo, the current TiVo platform doesn't seem to support MPEG4 (although it could be hidden in there somewhere), so that could be a sticking point.

I expected to hear substantially more screaming bloody murder about the 24 hour PPV expiry than praise for adding the remote scheduling option.

As for a next-gen DirecTiVo, the current TiVo platform doesn't seem to support MPEG4 (although it could be hidden in there somewhere), so that could be a sticking point.
You always expect the worst regarding D*, then act disappointed when it doesn't happen.

What does that say about you (and the rest of the world)?

You always expect the worst regarding D*, then act disappointed when it doesn't happen.
I suppose that the D* apologist would look at remote programming as the sweet icing on the turd cake of 24 hour expiry. Kind of like being thrown a bone and getting boned all in one software release.

Which one do you think is going to impact more DirecTiVo users?

If I'm wrong about this, I'd appreciate some insight.

You use the Directv web site for scheduling remote recordings. Those updates are sent via the Satellite only. On the DTV tivo units the network\usb ports are not likely to ever work. So the only thing you really need is a phone line so the new 6.4a software will get installed.
My son used to have a DirecTivo, and he had an active LAN port with remote scheduling. He did mention it was some kind of hack that enabled it. But, it was a common hack, and has been available for years, apparently.

I suppose that the D* apologist would look at remote programming as the sweet icing on the turd cake of 24 hour expiry. Kind of like being thrown a bone and getting boned all in one software release.

Which one do you think is going to impact more DirecTiVo users?

If I'm wrong about this, I'd appreciate some insight.
I'm not interested in remote programming OR the 24 hour expiration of PPVs since I don't use either feature.

For those who do care about either (or both) of these features they'll just have to decide for themselves what to do about it.

My observations were more about YOUR attitude(s) about D* which could best be summed up with the phrase "the glass is always half empty, never half full".

Is that enough "insight" for you?

My observations were more about YOUR attitude(s) about D* which could best be summed up with the phrase "the glass is always half empty, never half full".
Is sharing your observations about any other member ever appropriate?

If you don't like what I say because it stings, get over it. If you disagree with what I say (as opposed to how I say it), take your best shot at countering it.

Those with the DIRECTV branded receivers howled like scalded cats when the DRM issue came to light. There was even a pretty sizable uproar when it was announced that Windows Media would support DRM. Unless DirecTiVo users are overwhelmed by any sign of lovin' from D*, I figure it is a important issue to them too.

Is sharing your observations about any other member ever appropriate?

If you don't like what I say because it stings, get over it. If you disagree with what I say (as opposed to how I say it), take your best shot at countering it.

Those with the DIRECTV branded receivers howled like scalded cats when the DRM issue came to light. There was even a pretty sizable uproar when it was announced that Windows Media would support DRM. Unless DirecTiVo users are overwhelmed by any sign of lovin' from D*, I figure it is a important issue to them too.
Whatever, there's no hope for you!

FYI: The DVR scheduler went active for Tivo's with this software today.

You can use m.directv.com or the TV Listings area of directv.com to schedule recordings, manual records, and series records to your Tivo.

You must register and login with your directv.com login.

That deleted items folder surprised the hell out of me, I really don't see the need for it, but it might have its advantages.

Really, the only people that would benefit from Recently Deleted are those that share their DVR with others, IMO. For me, it's just another step to delete a show, like the Recycle Bin in Windows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)