Serious Bug in Latest 522 SW

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
While the new SW has some really nice features, one thing is incredibly bad and shows a clear lack of good testing:

Anytime you set up something to record, the system will see if an item on your HD already has the same description, if so, it will not tape it. This may be great for most shows that have valid descriptions, but things that have the same description every time, such as "series" WILL NOT record with any of the choices! Technically, you can manually go into each future time and choose "restore", but that is about as difficult as doing a manual timer.

For example, say I want to tape a show "DIY Knows All" every day at 10-11am. If the show has a desciption of "Series/Special", it will only tape the first one and all other shows will be skipped.

I called tech support yesterday and they confirmed there was no way around this.

Brad

I've got several M-F and Daily timers that say "Series/Special" or "News/Business", and they are not set to skip futurte timers. Have you set the timers you're talking about as "New Episodes" ?

I have one occurance of this... I have it set to record every episode and it skips some of them on occasion when I know for a fact that it is different... I have to constantly look at the schedule and "unskip" each one...

I doubt that it only looks at the description as there are so many "non-descripted" shows. For example, on SPEED channel, there is "Motorsports Mundial", whose description is always "News from around the world of racing." It might be more likely that each show has a serial number, and they use the same serial number for repeats, and the channel might make a mistake and use the same one..

Case in point.. I watch Monster Trucks.
icon_redface.gif
Each event has two time slots on two different days. One day is the racing and the other is the freestyle competition. Every single event has the same description, but the freestyle competition is "skipped" by my 522 each time... Possibility that the theoretical "serial number" is the same for the two showings at the same event even though the content is different.

I hadn't thought of that. I am currently most using it for SkyAngel radio shows, but I also noticed it stopped picking up DIY daily shows (I think it was "Ask DIY") which has a generic message.

I still want to see this fixed. I have no desire to manually have to update events.

Brad

andrews777 said:
I hadn't thought of that. I am currently most using it for SkyAngel radio shows, but I also noticed it stopped picking up DIY daily shows (I think it was "Ask DIY") which has a generic message.

I still want to see this fixed. I have no desire to manually have to update events.

Brad
what if you say all shows

kwajr said:
what if you say all shows
You can say "all shows" but it won't record if it thinks that its a duplicate.. Sorta like if you record "Trading Spaces" :mad: that comes on 7 times a day you don't want 7 copies of the same thing each day, but they still give you the option to override it, which is a great feature, I think.

I wouldn't want it 7 times a day, but at least once a day should be achievable, without having to manually override it each time.

After watching the "intro clip" they downloaded I see why it behaves this way even with a M-F or Weekly setting, but it should have an override. Even adding a checkbox to say "always record this show" would be an improvement. I went through and manually did this for several shows last night, but I hate the idea of doing this once a week. :)

I do see value in the Dish Pass though, especially if I want to pick up a movie or show that isn't showing right now. (I keep wanting someone to show old episodes of Mork & Mindy, I think I should try that, though I am not sure the exact search term to avoid sticking on the "&". )

Brad

I would think a Title search for Mork would work I doubt there has been may shows with Mork in the title that were not Mork & Mindy.

This is also occuring with shows such as New Yankee Workshop, Gold Fever, Prospecting America, Buzzardize Classics. It sucks. During the transition from non-NBR to NBR, it skipped part 2 of a 3 part series I really needed to see.

-John

PS: 7 times of Trading Spaces is not too bad, especially with Paige Davis. Yum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts