Seriously Dish? Replacing 1080 resolution with 720.

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
HD for life is a nice concept. But apparently its deteriorating HD for life.

I thought I noticed a (not so good) change when watching my local channels. Sure enough, the .ts files on the DVR for local channels have changed from 1080 resolution to 720. But I guess 720 is HD in some people's books and am pleased that now I can consider all my old DVDs to be HD.

Let's hope Dish isn't lobbying to have 240i classified as HD.

I can assure you, that it's not everybody. Almost all my locals are in 1080i, except for the few stations in SD(beleive they have never had an HD counterpart anywhere in the country).

But I guess 720 is HD in some people's books and am pleased that now I can consider all my old DVDs to be HD.

Minimum to qualify for HD is 720p. DVDs are all SD 480i. Some players convert to 480p and output this on component. I never bothered with that since IIRC most if not all HDTVs can do just as well.

Reactions: osu1991
I think some are misunderstanding. The DVR is still playing the files in 1080i but it is up-converting from 720 so picture quality has diminished. The files in the DVR are a lower resolution than they were before.

And yes some TV stations do broadcast in 720. What I am talking about is the simultaneous wholesale change from 1080 to 720 of all my local channels. In other words: the HD local channel .ts files on the DVR previously had a 1080 resolution just like the HD non locals. Then in the last week or so, all new ones (locals only) are 720. Non locals continue to be 1080.

You certainly have the option of trying an OTA tuner/DVR and see if it comes out any better.

Perhaps your .ts interpreter is mis-interpreting or the DVR only contains recordings from 720p channels.

Would you have noticed a difference if you hadn't been mucking about in the DVR filesystem?

Reactions: sethwell and KAB
Did you check to see if your receiver is set for 720p instead of 1080i?
Actually, if he's reading the format directly from the hard drive, that setting doesn't affect it. The files are (or should be) recorded and stored in their native resolution. That setting only impacts the output to the TV.

Reactions: TheKrell
My area of southeast Texas for the Golden Triangle -Beaumont,Pt.Arthur we get:

ABC -720p/ NBC-720p (Gannet owned)
CBS-1080i/ Cw -720p/Fox-720p (Sinclair owned)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts