Seriously Dish? Replacing 1080 resolution with 720.

Back when I had a 722K I was able to copy a program moved back to the internal drive from the EHD and it was no longer encrypted - may not be true now, but it was 2-3 years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
Apparently you can since you set your receiver output to a specific setting for the reason you state.

Nope. I can't tell but if I have to pick one that was my reason for picking 720p. I'm just assuming it's better but can't actually tell the difference.

OP, what size screen are you making your judgement from? Under 50", the difference between 720p and and 1080i is negligible. So do you REALLY see a difference, or just THINK you do because you obviously think 1080i is so superior?
It's an 80". Be the judge as to whether I just imagined based on what I already posted. I only checked the file resolution while searching for the cause of the reduction in PQ and it was confirmed that the file resolutions for local channels only changed from 1080 to 720 within the prior few weeks and exactly when I noticed the change in PQ. And FWIW I never said I think 1080 was superior although in this case it certainly seems that way. I only said the PQ declined and that it was later shown to have occurred in the same time-frame as the resolutions changed from 1080 to 720. I have recordings of the exact same program (different episodes) on the same channel made a week apart and the earlier one is in 1080 (as are every recording up to a specific date) and the latter in 720.

Reactions: TheKrell
By the way, I don't see how there cound any issue discussing .ts files and video info out of the .ts files. I was concerned about the thread getting into a discussion about methods to get the files off of the DVR. I don't know if admins would have an issue with that or not, but I suspect they would.
Without answering the question, the files do not need to be copied from the DVR to get their attributes so how or if the files were copied is irrelevant. The disk drive in the DVR can be connected to a PC without removing the disk from the DVR and the files accessed directly from programs running on Linux or Windows (with additional software that makes the files accessible read only).

1080i looks way better than 720p, in my opinion. Whenever I watch FOX, which is broadcast in 720p, I can see grainy artifacts all over the screen. 1080i definitely produces a more sharper/cleaner image.

he disk drive in the DVR can be connected to a PC without removing the disk from the DVR and the files accessed directly from programs running on Linux or Windows (with additional software that makes the files accessible read only).

What file system is used on the internal disk these days? The EHD is composed of 2 or more ext3 partitions.

Reactions: Yespage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)