Server Upgrade Suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Just looking for some opinions, suggestions, or guidelines on a server upgrade I need to do. Upgrading a Windows SBS 2003 to Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Originally I had planned on going through the migration process, but my understanding is with R2 they removed the migration wizard and the migration can get kind of complicated. While I am comfortable working with our servers I am by no means a network server engineer. We only have a small number of users however (<10) so I was considering just setting up the 2012 server as a whole new domain and setting up new user accounts. Even with moving data, recreating group policies, etc. I think that might be the easier route.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks

I agree with Scott, would be way easier to start a new set-up, with just a hand full of users.

Plus, your Windows 2003 is probably 32-bit, and Windows 2012 R2 server is 64-bit only. There is no direct patch from 32-bit to 64-bit in Windows World.

I would be concerned that your hardware is old enough that it may not have drivers for Win 2012 R2. I ran into this with a Gen 6 HP ProLiant server. It wasn't that old, but while the NIC was fine, there were some issues with the display and RAID.

Plus, your Windows 2003 is probably 32-bit, and Windows 2012 R2 server is 64-bit only. There is no direct patch from 32-bit to 64-bit in Windows World.

I would be concerned that your hardware is old enough that it may not have drivers for Win 2012 R2. I ran into this with a Gen 6 HP ProLiant server. It wasn't that old, but while the NIC was fine, there were some issues with the display and RAID.

I got the same problem in my office.

Upgrading the os on my server basically involves buying a whole new server

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)