Microsoft Surface Pro 4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Microsoft has just announced its latest Surface Pro 4. Check it out.

Last edited:
Shipping October 26

When I'm traveling, my favorite is my Surface Pro. I have the 128Gb version and invested in a 128GB very fast 90MBS MicroSD card, plus I have a high speed USB hub that gives me 4 High speed USB ports for fast file transfer. With the keyboard it is just like having a desktop computer at home. I tether it to my iphone 6+ for internet. I have the original version and it is so good I don't see a need to update it. The processor and graphics card is fast enough for me to edit 3D video using anaglyph glasses and that is a real testimonial to the Surface speed. I have Edius v 7 and Vegas Pro v13 installed as video editor. I would guess the Surface Pro 4 is even better but not sure in what way. My only wish list would be to have an eSATA port and 2 additional USB ports built in, plus a dual monitor output for attaching the HDMI TV in my hotel room for a larger monitor.

Surface Pro 4 Specs:
  • CPU: 6th Gen Intel Core M3, i5, or i7
  • Just 8.4 mm thick (thinner and lighter than Surface Pro 3)
  • Weight: M3: 1.69lbs (766 grams), i5/i7: 1.73lbs (786 grams)
  • Display: 12.3 inches, 5 million pixel, 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI)
  • SSD drive: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB
  • RAM: 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB RAM
  • Battery life: up to 9 hours of video playback
  • Redesigned TypeCover
  • New pen with eraser and 1-year battery life
  • Ports: full-size USB 3.0, microSD™ card reader, headset jack, mini DisplayPort, cover port, SurfaceConnect

Last edited:
I wanted to get Surface Pro 3, but decided to wait for Pro 4. The wait is now over! And I think it was worth it.

I like all the specs, except for a couple of minor missing items:
1. No broadband option.
2. Wish it had a full-size SD-card reader.
3. No USB-C?

It looks like the Core i7 configurations are not shipping until November 20. And it's not clear yet when the 1TB option will become available (not that I am willing to pay $2,699.00 for it).

I have yet to see a Surface Pro in the wild, much less a Surface Pro 4. I hope they don't build so many that they have to fire sale them as they are with the SP3.

Microsoft continues to pour money into a market looking for something much, much simpler than Windows. There's a reason that not even Radio Shack could kill the TRS-80 Model 100.

What I am looking for is something I could travel with. Right now wherever I go, whether it's for business or vacation, I carry both an iPad (for reading and web browsing) and a laptop (for more serious tasks). I was hoping just an iPad would be sufficient, but it's not. I need more power, better keyboard, bigger hard drive, etc. I need to be able to run Adobe products for example, and iPads are not capable of doing that. Surface Pro should allow me to replace both devices on the road and will save me travel weight. I think Surface Pro is a perfect hybrid device for my purposes, that doesn't make too many compromises.

When I'm traveling, my favorite is my Surface Pro ... My only wish list would be to have an eSATA port and 2 additional USB ports built in...

Don, what are you typical use scenarios, when do you need more than one USB port when travelling? I am trying to decide what kind of adapters I would need.

I think Surface Pro is a perfect hybrid device for my purposes, that doesn't make too many compromises.
I advocate that you try the applications you want to run before you decide that the SP4 isn't too much of a compromise. The SP4 can have a lot of horsepower (for a lot more money), but it is running Windows that has a particular fondness for horse meat.

The i7 weighs in at just over $1,500 with the keyboard. All of the sudden the Macbooks start looking viable and the Ultrabooks seem eerily light (see Dell XPS 13).

I advocate that you try the applications you want to run before you decide that the SP4 isn't too much of a compromise. The SP4 can have a lot of horsepower (for a lot more money), but it is running Windows that has a particular fondness for horse meat.

The i7 weighs in at just over $1,500 with the keyboard. All of the sudden the Macbooks start looking viable and the Ultrabooks seem eerily light (see Dell XPS 13).
I love my Dell XPS 13. I wish I could replace my ancient work computer with one (or something similar). Thankfully the lease on the current machine should be up in the next six months or so.

I played with an Ultrabook/transformer HP Spectre x360 - we have one of those in the office. Not a bad laptop, but still too heavy and bulky as a tablet. I wouldn't use it for bed-time reading. I need something much lighter.
As for the CPU horsepower, I am hoping to get away with the i5. I will try it first and if I find it too slow, I will upgrade to the i7 in November.

I love my Dell XPS 13. I wish I could replace my ancient work computer with one (or something similar). Thankfully the lease on the current machine should be up in the next six months or so.
Love that borderless "infinityEdge" display! However, like most ultra-portables, it's limited to 8 GB RAM. I need 16...

Don, what are you typical use scenarios, when do you need more than one USB port when travelling? I am trying to decide what kind of adapters I would need.

I'll look up the USB hub that is working better than the standard ones and post it later. Specs- the special hub transfers video at 15mbs while the standard hub slows to 1mbs. But if I plug in the camera to the single USB port without any hub it will transfer at 30mbs.

Typically, when I need more than one USB port is when I operate the Surface Pro as a laptop with keyboard and USB mouse, I may need to attach my digital camera or an SD card reader or my WD Passport 2TB hard drive. But these needs are mostly always times when I want to edit video. For simple internet access, email, spreadsheet work, I only use the mouse or need just one USB port.

I will mention this, that in some high cpu- memory applications like video editing, it is important to have two storage sources as opposed to one big C drive. It's just faster as access to video files while the application is processing them greatly increases the system speed. Putting video files on a C drive and trying to play them while doing color correction or reframing is just doesn't keep up. Need the video files on the extra storage, not the C drive with the OS and APP. I know of no other application besides CAD and video editing that this applies. Still, I think one can scale back the desire for a 1TB C drive and go with a 256Gb model and put money into a fast microSD card or two for additional storage. Even my big 3D workstation only has a 256GB SSD C drive but has 12TB of very fast PCIe and SSD extra storage.

I am going to check the new dock. If it's small enough for travel then it would address all of your concerns: all extra ports one would need and it doesn't even use the USB on the tablet.

I stopped at a Microsoft Store at lunch. They did not have the Surface Book on display yet, but they did have the new Surface Pro 4. I love the new keyboard cover!
Left a pre-order! They didn't have my exact configuration on their list (i5 with 16 GB RAM), but it doesn't cost anything to pre-order, so I ordered the i7. :)

The new Surface Pen is amazing! By far the best stylus I ever tried! It truly feels like writing on paper. The precision is unbelievable. There is no visible separation between the tip of the pen and the line being drawn at all!

I am going to get a new type cover for my surface pro 3. The SP4 covers are compatible and feature a stiffer design and larger trackpad. I do not like the type cover of the SP3, it seems too flimsy when typing on it.

I am going to get a new type cover for my surface pro 3. The SP4 covers are compatible and feature a stiffer design and larger trackpad. I do not like the type cover of the SP3, it seems too flimsy when typing on it.
Good idea! I had another chance to check out the new SP4 and its new type cover. It was sitting right next to an SP3, so I could compare the two side by side. The new type cover is way better! Feels like a real keyboard, not like a cover. And the touchpad is much better too. Not just bigger, but the surface of it is much smoother too.

I decided to order the one with the fingerprint reader. The price difference is not that big. Even though it may not be really needed with SP4, since it has facial recognition, I am now so accustom to the fingerprint reader on my iPhone and my iPad, so I think I would miss it on the Surface Pro.

Reactions: mike123abc
I think the fingerprint reader is a good idea, I will probably go for it too. My SP3 keyboard is showing signs of wear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts