Microsoft Surface Pro 4

I'm still debating the configuration and accessories to get but will probably end up with an i7, 16 GB RAM, and 256GB SSD plus the type cover with fingerprint reader. Not sure about the USB hub dock. I'd rather have a traditional dock that holds the tablet securely. I was looking at getting the 512GB SSD but the additional $400 is way too steep when 256GB USB flash drives are $80. Flash drives aren't as fast but speed isn't necessary for documents and pictures.

I'm still debating the configuration and accessories to get but will probably end up with an i7, 16 GB RAM, and 256GB SSD plus the type cover with fingerprint reader. Not sure about the USB hub dock. I'd rather have a traditional dock that holds the tablet securely. I was looking at getting the 512GB SSD but the additional $400 is way too steep when 256GB USB flash drives are $80. Flash drives aren't as fast but speed isn't necessary for documents and pictures.
Since mine will be primarily for travel, I decided to go with a bigger SSD: 512GB. This way I will have enough storage to backup all my SD cards without carrying an external drive.
On the other hand, I feel the i5 should be good enough for my purposes: it's two generations ahead compared the i5 in the SP3. Besides, the i7 is not available until the second half of November...

Out of curiosity... here are some closest alternatives to the Surface Pro 4. None of them come with 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD or i5/i7 CPUs, but if the high-end specs are not required these might of interest:

- Dell XPS 12
- HP Spectre x2
- Lenovo Miix 700

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-surface-pro-4-alternatives

Last edited:
I can't imagine that the battery consumption of a SP4 with an i7 with maximum RAM and a large SSD is going to be such that you can get more than a few hours out of a charge. You have to believe that the 9 hour figure is for the mobile processor with the most limited RAM and storage specifications.

I never believe manufacturer's claims about the battery life. I'll need to see some real life tests.

Mine will be here in about 10 days! Can't wait!

I never believe manufacturer's claims about the battery life. I'll need to see some real life tests.
It is a pretty safe bet that the actual performance for a highly optioned system that is actually being pushed (versus playing MP3s from the SSD through earphones) won't be anywhere near the projected life.

That wouldn't be a concern for me though. If I am going to run any time-consuming CPU-intensive tasks, I will just plug it in, as I would do with a laptop. I am more concerned about battery life during light use in tablet mode, like reading, browsing or watching movies on a long flight.

First review and benchmarks from Anandtech (just posted today):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar

Looking good!

Overall, the change to Skylake has made a pretty nice jump in performance with the Surface Pro 4. The Intel Core i5-6300U manages to pretty much outperform the Broadwell Core i7-5600U in multi-threaded tests, and single-threaded workloads come in pretty close to the higher clocked Broadwell i7. The performance difference from Surface Pro 3’s Haswell Core i5-4300U is even larger.

No CPU throttling at all according to the tests! Huge improvement in heat management compared to SP3!

This hybrid cooling is truly cool! ;)
The fan is rarely activated under light use. I like that!

My Surface Pro 4 is in on its way! Got the tracking number. Should be here on Monday!

Love it so far! I think it will be perfect for my purposes!

I feared that it would be too bulky and heavy as a tablet. It's not! The SP4 appears to have a similar weight and thickness as the older non-Air iPad, while having a much bigger screen. The screen is gorgeous, by the way!

I like this new Windows Hello authentication! I can login to the SP4 without passwords in two ways: using the facial recognition or via the fingerprint reader. Both are lightning fast!

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
After a few hours of playing with my new SP4, I am yet to hear the fan!
Granted, I haven't run any CPU-intensive tasks on it, but that wasn't my goal.
The back side gets warm at times, but not hot. The hybrid cooling seems to be working well.

The battery is showing 50%: 3 hours and 40 minutes left. I haven't fully charged it yet.

I am truly amazed with the Pen! Its accuracy is very impressive. No lag at all and no separation between the tip and the line. Makes it very easy to draw or take handwritten notes. And the eraser is pretty good too. Feels like the real thing!

Clicking the pen once brings OneNote. Clicking twice takes a screen shot and pastes it into OneNote. Press and hold - brings Cortana.

I was somewhat skeptical about the magnetic attachment of the pen, but it actually works pretty well. The magnet is very strong and holds the pen securely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)