New Macbook Pro M1 Pro 14"

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I ordered a new macbook yesterday. After debating between the Macbook air M2 (which my wife has) and the 14" Macbook Pro with the M1 Pro chip, I opted for the Pro machine.

I was concerned about fan noise - and have really enjoyed using the fanless work-owned Macbook Pro M1, but really interested in the 14.2" screen, and the extra thunderbolt port and the HDMI and SD card port. I decided to try the Pro, and if it was too noisy I'd send it back.

I ordered it around 1pm yesterday. Apple shipped it from California within 2 hours and arrived here at 10am this morning. Practically instant gratification.

I've set it up, downloaded gigabytes of stuff, and run a lot of programs. I have never once heard the fan. It feels just like the M1 pro. But it definitely runs a bit warmer. The speakers are phenomenal, the Liquid Retina display is incredible, and running a HDR 4k movie just looks fantastic.

Oh, and the dreaded "notch"? It's a non-issue. has no impact at all on the machine. Even the program that I use that has a lot of menu itmes, they all fit.

Day 1 thought - this is a killer machine.

Reactions: Foxbat and dfergie
The audio quality on this device is phenomenal. Best sound I have ever heard from a computer. There are something like six speakers.

And there are cooling vents on both sides and the back. Has not gotten noticeably warm, and have yet to hear a fan.

The M1 and M2 line of processors are truly remarkable.