Server

jimr

Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I was having problems with iptv buffering to the point of having it turned off. I called tech and they helped fix the problem. They changed servers form west coast to east coast. Also when using my wireless phone I would get buffering. We changed our phone out to one that was on a new channel, now no problems.
Blessings, Jim

I was having problems with iptv buffering to the point of having it turned off. I called tech and they helped fix the problem. They changed servers form west coast to east coast. Also when using my wireless phone I would get buffering. We changed our phone out to one that was on a new channel, now no problems.
Blessings, Jim

Good to hear Jim.

I had a very pleasant call to Customer Service on Thursday.

I did notice a lot of of buffering on Hallmark Channel last night, but it only lasted for a little while.

Kevin

Remember 1.5 Mbps is the minimum that is recommended. If that is what your current connection speed is and your sharing your connection with other computers in the house you may have buffering challenges. Especially if there is downloading going on.

You want to always make sure your connected to the servers with the lowest ping times. This isn't necessarly the server you are closest to, but most of the time it is.

You want to always make sure your connected to the servers with the lowest ping times.

How do you do that? Is this related to QoS?

Remember 1.5 Mbps is the minimum that is recommended. If that is what your current connection speed is and your sharing your connection with other computers in the house you may have buffering challenges. Especially if there is downloading going on.

You want to always make sure your connected to the servers with the lowest ping times. This isn't necessarly the server you are closest to, but most of the time it is.

Some routers manage the QoS better than other. I've read good reports about ZyXel brand looking at their QoS management interface. The D-Link DI-655 also seems like a quality router.

Does anyone who has the IPTV service have an option about whether DSL or Cable internet would work better? Where I live, I can basically choose from 6 mbps DSL service or 6 mbps DSL. both of these services use a dynamic IP address. Granted the cable offers "power boost" which increases the speed for the first 10 megs of download.

I also have the option of an independent DSL ISP that uses a static IP address. I actually have their 1.5 service, and would upgrade to 3.0 if SA IPTV would run better on it than cable. I currently have my receiver hooked up to a router through a cable modem. i get a lot of buffering.....

i wonder if that's due to the cable internet or maybe because I'm using an old router. Its a hard wired connection. not wireless.

I have the DI-655 so that's great to hear.

I never even had a network at all until about 3 years ago and have only started expanding the network just over a year ago, if that. As little as I know it boggles my mind even the little I DO know now.

My point being that it's kinda like a water pipe. The more diverted to other places the less left at the end of the line, or something like that. So for those who don't know Q0S is kinda like a traffic light. Bad example because the light changes several times before you could even blink your eye, and I guess a better example would be an automated valve to increase or decrease the flow where needed most.

So I'm gonna guess that as long as you just have a computer and an IPTV a 1.5 - 3Mbps connection will do just fine and perhaps even a 1 Mbps would function ok. After that it eventually starts to get kinda hairy.

My cable internet is the 1.5 Mbps speed. I notice that if I am surfing the net with my MacBook, I have no issues with buffering. However, if I am using a PC laptop, surfing the same sites, I do get buffering issues. The IPTV, MacBook, laptop are all connecting wirelessly via "g".

My cable internet is the 1.5 Mbps speed. I notice that if I am surfing the net with my MacBook, I have no issues with buffering. However, if I am using a PC laptop, surfing the same sites, I do get buffering issues. The IPTV, MacBook, laptop are all connecting wirelessly via "g".

Very cool, I have a new Macbook also. My receiver is hard wired to the router, but when I access via WiFi from my MacBook or The Windoze Laptop (LOL!!!) it is via b, not g. I might get a 5 second blip of buffering once or twice a day. I'm not complaining.

It is time for me to get a new wireless router though.... i am using a dell true mobile 1184 made in 2002. It only does 'b' speed. Dell does not even put their name on networking products anymore. But I will tell ya one thing.... I've had some routers and known of some friends with routers that bit the dust after one year or 2 -- so maybe I'm lucky to get 5+ from this one.

If its not a dying router, I'm thinking a splitter after the coax 'wall jack' could be my problem. I have a cable coming up from the basement to the living room, and from that outlet, split two ways -- one to TV and one to cable modem.

Here's what I did to eliminate buffering -- it is rare since I did this.

I have four computers and two IPTV boxes. I have a Linksys Cable/DSL router, and a Linksys 5-port switch.

I plugged the two IPTV boxes and the switch into the router. Then I plugged all of the computers into the switch.

I then went into the QoS section of my router, and gave high priority to the two ports used by the IPTV boxes.

Now the two IPTV boxes and the switch each get 1/3 of my bandwidth, and the IPTV boxes get priority on their 1/3.

I have Cox cable internet. It is generally at around 9 MB. Sometimes it slows way down. When that happens, you notice it on the computers, not on the IPTV boxes.

In other words, they rarely buffer any more, except when you first tune in a channel, and then only for a second.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)