Service in Mexico?

alosito

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
My company is relocating me from California to Mexico City, Mexico. I just recently signed a contract with Dish Network, and I don't want to terminate it. Does anybody know if I can use all my Dish Network equipment (antenna and receiver) in Mexico City to watch the same channels that I get right now in the U.S.? I understand that Dish has satellites somewhere above Texas. So I just thought that if people in nothern states of the U.S. can get a signal then it would be possible to get the signal in all Mexico too. Am I wrong? Is there some piece of equipment that I can use to determine if Dish's signal in my location in Mexico is strong enough?

I bet you have mixed emotions about your transfer LOL. I have a home in Puerto Vallarta and take my receiver with me when I am there. I had to install a large (about 4 foot) stationery dish on my roof and pointed it to 119º where most of the channels are located. It works great, but the install and dish cost me about $800US. The local DirecTV installers put it up for me.

I am located in Cancun Mexico near 10 months out of the year, I have 3 dishes ranging in size from 3 feet to 10 feet. In Mexico City you can use a 3 footer for most of the programing, for the 110 sat you will need around a 7 footer. The 3 foot dish should not cost you more than $250, and there are MANY installers in MX City. If you need some advice go ahead an shoot me an email.

Kev

DougE said:
I had to install a large (about 4 foot) stationery dish on my roof and pointed it to 119º where most of the channels are located. It works great, but the install and dish cost me about $800US.
WOW! $800 is a lot of money for an antenna. Where can I find more information about these types of antennas? I assume you purchased in Mexico as it would be hard to get a 4-foot antenna through the customs.

cancunkev said:
In Mexico City you can use a 3 footer for most of the programing, for the 110 sat you will need around a 7 footer.
Sorry, I am new at this. Could you please tell me which channels are broadcasted through the 110 sat and what channels I will get with a 3 footer? Do I want to get several antennas to get all the channels or one huge antenna will do the trick?

alosito said:
Sorry, I am new at this. Could you please tell me which channels are broadcasted through the 110 sat and what channels I will get with a 3 footer? Do I want to get several antennas to get all the channels or one huge antenna will do the trick?

In PV I needed an additional large antenna to get 110º. Here are two links showing what channels are on which satellite. The majority of programming for DISH is on 119º.

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish110.shtml

http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/dish7.shtml

DougE said:
A BUD won't work....the correct focal point distance cannot be obtained. It requires an enlarged dish same shape as a single lnb dish.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

I assume the shape you mean is the same as a Dish500 - which I consider to be a dual LNB dish - even if it's a Twin or Quad (single housing).

The 10 footer (3.1 Meter) dish I use for 110 W is a BUD dish, the downfall is that they do not make a dual ku lnd mount for this type of dish.

The 3 and 4 foot dishes in Mexico should go for around $200 to $280 USD, if you pay more than that you are getting the 'gringo' price :)

In Mexico City there are 10 to 15 manufactures of channel master type dishes, the only DISH equipment you really will need are the receivers and any switches you may need.

For a basic install to see just 119 you can use a 3 footer, if you want your locals (from your US address) you will need a wing sat, 61.5 can be picked up with a 3 footer, 148 I believe can be picked up using the same in MX City.

As I said, I know serveral dealers here in Mexico, and if you need help just send me an email.

Kev

DougE said:
No, it should be the same shape as a single lnb dish, not like a 500
I guess I'm very lost.

A standard good-ole BUD can receive Ku-band satellite transmissions - at least V/H polarization. No idea if there's a difference because of L/R polarization. My gut says no. So, we can grab single-satellite DBS using a BUD.

Now, trying to find a decent focal point pair for 2 at the same time on a BUD might not be possible, but we also know that toriodal dishes exist that CAN do this, so there should be some simpler shape that can give good performance for 110/119.

My thought was that a BUD has enough area that it could be done - even though the focal points would not be optimal - in other words an 8' dish might act like a 4' one because of here the feedhorn would have to be.

Of course, brackets would have to be found/made and the whole thing is probably not worth the effort, but I'm trying to learn more abou how this stuff all works.

hall said:
I'm a newbie with all this, so can someone explain why a large (10') dish is needed ??
I don't know much, but I know some things. :)

Mexico City is outside of the CONUS (CONtinental US) signal footprint, so the received signal down there is MUCH weaker than 'in the states'. Receiving it there is 'unsupported' - in fact, it's probably not even legal - Dish is not licensed in Mexico so far as I know.

SimpleSimon said:
I guess I'm very lost.

A standard good-ole BUD can receive Ku-band satellite transmissions - at least V/H polarization. No idea if there's a difference because of L/R polarization. My gut says no. So, we can grab single-satellite DBS using a BUD.

Now, trying to find a decent focal point pair for 2 at the same time on a BUD might not be possible, but we also know that toriodal dishes exist that CAN do this, so there should be some simpler shape that can give good performance for 110/119.

My thought was that a BUD has enough area that it could be done - even though the focal points would not be optimal - in other words an 8' dish might act like a 4' one because of here the feedhorn would have to be.

Of course, brackets would have to be found/made and the whole thing is probably not worth the effort, but I'm trying to learn more abou how this stuff all works.

You can use a BUD to get Dish programming. Many BUD suppliers sell an "adapter plate" that allows you to mount a DBS LNB to the BUD.

Now if you wanted to get a Dish500 system you would need 2 BUDs, 2 DBS LNBs, and the correct switched. (i.e. if watching on 1 TV you would need an SW21)

So what is the best place to purchase the equipment that I would need in Mexico City to get Dish programing?

And By The Way

By the way It's not legal if you are stealing the signal well what can I say and If you are paying it's gray nobody is going to sue you because you are not stealing anybody but It is not legal anyway. I watch Dish and hear XM satelite Radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts