SES Americon Enters into Lease Agreement w/ VOOM

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I know this old news already but here it's the press release. Reading through it, it seems like the one dish solution will come first than MPEG-4/WM9.

Source

SES AMERICOM Enters into Lease Agreement with Rainbow DBS, AMERICOM2Home's Second Anchor Customer
Wednesday June 9, 3:29 am ET
Agreement Expands VOOM's High Definition Capacity

PRINCETON, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 9, 2004--SES AMERICOM, an SES GLOBAL company (Euronext Paris, Luxembourg and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges: SESG), today announced that it has entered into an agreement with Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation's satellite division, to lease 16 transponders over the next ten years to augment the capacity of VOOM, its High-Definition (HD) television service. VOOM, which offers more HD programming than any cable or satellite provider, will lease the Ku-band transponders aboard AMC-6 satellite to deliver even more HD programming to customers. The agreement, scheduled to start October 1, 2004, firmly establishes AMERICOM2Home® as the "go to" provider for DTH capacity having secured bandwidth commitments for four FSS and BSS satellite payloads since its inception in April 2002. At the same time, the VOOM contract reinforces AMERICOM's leadership as the U.S. carrier of choice for HD programming, leadership established with AMERICOM's two-satellite HD-PRIME(TM) neighborhood.
ADVERTISEMENT

SES AMERICOM, as part of its AMERICOM2Home® (A2H) residential satellite services initiative, worked with VOOM to develop the capability for a single dish solution, which would provide VOOM subscribers the option to enjoy a wide range of exciting offerings delivered over its existing, proprietary satellite Rainbow 1, and soon over AMC-6. VOOM's expanded programming capability will be further enhanced through the planned application of its MPEG-4 compression technology, which will be phased in over the next two years.

AMERICOM2Home® is focused on providing technical and bandwidth solutions to direct-to-home providers. A2H demonstrated an innovative dual feed (Ku FSS and Ku BSS) elliptical dish antenna system for the VOOM technical team that was both technically efficient and cost effective. The dish, which has since been adopted by VOOM, enables the subscriber to receive quality signals from both satellites even though they are more than 10 degrees apart and operate in different bands.

"We are pleased that VOOM has selected SES AMERICOM as part of an important step towards expanding bandwidth and enhancing its HD programming," said Bryan McGuirk, senior vice president of domestic satellite services for SES AMERICOM. "SES AMERICOM's AMC-6 satellite provides VOOM with additional opportunities to increase its customer program offerings, which already consist of more than 35 HD channels and 80 standard-definition channels."

"Partnering with SES AMERICOM is part of VOOM's long-term strategy to maintain our competitive edge in HD programming," said Mickey Alpert, chief operating officer for Rainbow DBS. "On the basis of their satellite platform, experience and technical know-how, we look forward to working with SES AMERICOM as we continue to move forward to meet the demands of a growing but underserved HDTV market."

Explosive Increase in HD Households

According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the sale of HDTV sets continues to grow exponentially. In April 2004 CEA revealed that January and February manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television sets, 88% of which are HD-enabled, were up 124% over the same period last year. That's great news for HDTV programmers and service providers, like VOOM, as the number of high definition screens ready to receive HD content grows at a blistering pace.

I received a 36.5 x 32.5 dish yesterday, which the installer told me was going to be the replacement dish for the current 18 inch dishes. the installer said that he would have to realign and install another LNB once Voom gets the lease signed.

Sean is this the new dish sizethat was previously mentioned on the forum?

jimmykce1 said:
I received a 36.5 x 32.5 dish yesterday, which the installer told me was going to be the replacement dish for the current 18 inch dishes. the installer said that he would have to realign and install another LNB once Voom gets the lease signed.

Can you take a picture of it and post? A lot of people including me are interested to see the size of it and making plans.

I will try tonight Sean. If I have trouble pasting the picture into a thread I will forward you a copy of it so you may add it to this forum. I am hoping the angle the picture that I will take from ground level will be good enough to show the size.

jimmykce1 said:

The oval multi-feed dishes I have seen in the past are much wider than they are tall, probably a 1.5:1 ratio - but this depends on how close the target satellites are to each other. The dimensions on yours would work with satellites close together but may be too narrow to work here. Is yours wider than it is tall, or vice-versa?

jimmykce1 said:

Jimmy, could you do me a favor and measure the pole outside diameter for the dish mount? I'm going to plant a pole to place the new dish on and would like to have it in place when they show up to swap me out.

Thanks.

FrankJo said:
I am having Voom installed on Monday (6/14). Are they sending this dish out on all new installs?

I just got installed on last Sat. and got the small dish.

The larger dishes are simply testing dishes. Voom ussually sends out the 18 inch. I guess Voom was trying to see if the larger dish would pull in a better signal in areas that ussually have a hard time pulling in a signal.

Reading the latest press release, they said that Voom is leasing 16 transponders and has a reserve on another 8!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)