Set-up Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TreyBr23

Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Buckhead, Georgia
Hello everyone, I have a question about setting up a receiver outside for a football game. First, I have two different receivers I have used for this. One is a standard definition D-12 receiver and a HR-24 HD Receiver. The cable run from the splitter to the receiver is about 125 feet. I can not ever get a signal for the HR-24 but I get one for the D-12. I assume the cable run is probably a little too long for the HD signal. So my question is (if i'm correct in my thinking), can I put another splitter in the middle of the cable run to boost the signal? I really would like to get the HR-24 working so I can watch the game in HD.

Last edited:
Adding a splitter to the line would reduce signal, not improve. 125' is generally the limit from the dish to the furthest receiver, so you are definitely pushing it.

WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

Hello everyone, I have a question about setting up a receiver outside for a football game. First, I have two different receivers I have used for this. One is a standard definition D-12 receiver and a HR-24 HD Receiver. The cable run from the splitter to the receiver is about 125 feet. I can not ever get a signal for the HR-24 but I get one for the D-12. I assume the cable run is probably a little too long for the HD signal. So my question is (if i'm correct in my thinking), can I put another splitter in the middle of the cable run to boost the signal? I really would like to get the HR-24 working so I can watch the game in HD.

Splitters don't boost the signal, they drop it. Depending on what type of system you have a 2 way SWM splitter drops the signal by 4db, a 4 way drops 8db, and an 8 way drops it 12db. 125 feet isn't that far and you shouldn't be having an issue. What kind of system do you have, do you have 1 line or 4 lines off your dish?

It's 4 lines off the dish. Would an in-line signal amplifier work to boost the signal?

if its only 125 feet you have another issue. Are you using BBC's and a slimline dish? Legacy systems like the one you have can run 500-600 feet before needing a polarity locker or anything. Sounds like you've got another problem

:welcome toSatelliteguys Treybr23!

First off, are you using a Slimline dish or the old Phase III type? Only the Slimline will get hd. Like Hutch mentioned, you need bbcs if you are using a Slimline.

It is a slimline dish and what are bbcs? Like I said, it is just strange that sd receiver works and the hd receiver does not. It doesnt make sense.

In order to find room to fit the HD signals in with the SD signals, DIRECTV implemented an advanced form of "band stacking" in the WB68 multiswitch (and similar). The BBC takes care of translating the appropriate stacked bands. It is a passive device that typically hangs off the satellite input(s) of your receiver.

You shouldn't be shut out entirely even if you don't use a BBC.

There is "insertion loss" with any device that you connect in line so what works before something is installed may have trouble after.

In order to find room to fit the HD signals in with the SD signals, DIRECTV implemented an advanced form of "band stacking" in the WB68 multiswitch (and similar). The BBC takes care of translating the appropriate stacked bands. It is a passive device that typically hangs off the satellite input(s) of your receiver.

You shouldn't be shut out entirely even if you don't use a BBC.

There is "insertion loss" with any device that you connect in line so what works before something is installed may have trouble after.

He would be if the HR24 is set to hide all sd channels.

I think Harsh was referring to the sd channels that you would normally see even if you have no bbcs installed. That's how I read his post anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)