Setanta sports on dish??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

milequatro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
MA
Found this article and many like it floating around this past weekend.

Setanta Works Toward Distribution on DISH, Comcast, etc.
Submitted by admincms on Sat, 2007-04-07 09:49. Last updated Sat, 2007-04-07 10:15.
Editorial | Personal Blog | TV Info
Editorial by Rob de Santos, AFANA Chairman

Perhaps the most common complaint that AFANA gets about the TV coverage these days is from fans whose TV provider is not DirecTV: "I don't/can't/won't get DirecTV, so the coverage is no good to me until it is on DISH Network/Comcast/etc."

We understand that and very well. It affects the majority of our own officers, volunteers, web staff, and journalists based in the USA and Canada (believe it or not). It was our strategic judgment over a year ago that the deal for live coverage on Setanta with taped coverage on MHz represented the best chance for the future of the sport in North America. So far, based on the new long term TV deals with Setanta and MHz, our beliefs have been born out. However, we made that judgment a year ago with the knowledge that for this to work, eventually both channels had to expand their distribution. Patience was essential since distribution talks between content providers (e.g. Setanta) and distribution outlets (i.e. cable, satellite, and now internet providers) are notoriously difficult and often lengthy. Given the unusual nature of both channels marketing and distribution strategies, it was likely to be even harder than usual. Fans of footy aren't patient and we've heard from you loudly over the past year.

The good news is that things are likely to improve and soon. AFANA has maintained a periodic dialog with both Setanta and MHz over their distribution and we've remained convinced that that both management teams are committed to wider distribution. Recently, I had an exchange with Setanta and the gist of the situation is that by this summer, it could get better quickly. So we've added this to our TV FAQ now: Setanta tells AFANA that they are still negotiating, and are hopeful they can close on distribution by the (Northern) summer, meaning June or July. Their spokesperson said, "Setanta is doing absolutely anything they can to gain this distribution, it would be great, if our AFL fans also continue contacting their local DISH & Comcast provider to request for Setanta. This would give us the added push for them to close a deal faster. ... if we make it on Comcast by the summer, it would most probably kick off in Chicago and New England first, and for DISH it'll be national. The main driver, outside from Setanta gunning for this, would be the fans contacting their local operators and making the request [for the channel]."

So your patience as a fan may soon be rewarded.... OK, so I can hear the comments now.... but I have Cox cable or Time Warner or {fill in the blank}. Yes, and you are not forgotten. It will continue to take time for all the pieces to fall into place. Not everyone who wants Setanta Sports will be able to subscribe by the end of this season. We wish it was otherwise, but all we can do is be patient, encourage you to contact your cable company and Setanta and keep pushing. In the meantime, if you have a broadband connection, consider trying ITVN. For many, though by no means all, it works and works well.

For viewers who would like to get MHz, I will have an addition to this editorial/blog entry in a few days with an update on their situation.

AFANA is working to make this good for all footy fans and more, much more is coming soon. Stay tuned

Good find milequatro. This sentence speaks volumes:

distribution talks between content providers (e.g. Setanta) and distribution outlets (i.e. cable, satellite, and now internet providers) are notoriously difficult and often lengthy.

I hope this is true...I don't know how it will shake out for the US coverage but Setanta just bought the exclusive rights to the FA Cup leaving the BBC out in the cold.

I wish DISH would hurry up and get Setanta. I would subscribe to it the very day it was available!

Actually, the final will be broadcast live on pay-per-view. I'm betting that FSC will air replays of it 3-5 days after, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts