seting up a starband system

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
does any one here know anything about setting up starband? i have a used starband system that I'm pitting up. I'm pointing to the 101 sat with good signal from a cheap ku band meter. but no signal from the starband. i have a hughesnet system and use it on a tripod so I'm good at general aiming. i don't know any setting to see a good signal the cluster and subcluster. does any one here have starband that's pointing to 101? if so can you post your cluster settings? and once i get setup are there any installers that could activate for me? I'm a full time rv'r most wont do it because they know your going to move it around which most people do any way.

I doubt StarBand will authorize your system for operation on the 101W satellite. You will probably need to aim at IA7 at 129W. Also you will have to have your installer certification number before you can set it up and commission the modem. Find a local StarBand dealer to help you and good luck.

Paul

:) yes I'm very formilure with that. the 129 is there refereed sat and is were you will go to do the first software upgrade and commissioning. I'm installing my self to save money. then have someone commission for $50. to do this i need to be shire my sat is pointed somewhat correctly by entering a correct combination of cluster numbers (frequency). to get a signal strength through the system. if not they will charge me for a new install. then i might as well go with new and I'm in the year contract!

boy this is a very quiet board! is any one on 129? if so can you post a cluster and compatible subcluster so i can get a signal and peak the dish before i have someone commition it. thanks!

hobojoe said:
boy this is a very quiet board! is any one on 129? if so can you post a cluster and compatible subcluster so i can get a signal and peak the dish before i have someone commition it. thanks!

I don't think very many people here use starband. If its satellite internet its Hughes or Wildblue.

dw has a better reputation i think but i wanted to try it out. I'm still looking for a wildblue also i would even consider tacking over a contract if less than 6mo was left. thanks!

You said you are an RV person so, Do not go with wild blue. They use spot beams and you will not be able to roam accross the country.

you are exactly right and very tight spot beams at that. i just wanted to play with one get the feel of it. i am parked for at least a couple months at a time. with gas prices the way they are i really don't know how much i will do in the future. direcway has been best for me its plug-n-play and easy to point. starband has all kinds of setting and has a tighter beam to catch the signal is slightly harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)