Setting up both PVR 721 and HD 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

trooper7648

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Yesterday the Dish Installer came out to hookup my satellite system. The previous owner had Dish network and the actual dish is still on the roof. I have a PVR 721 (which I own) and am also having a HD 811 receiver hooked up as well.

Question is do I need to have 2 Satellite dishes in order to use the dual tuner PVR 721 and the 811? After it was hooked up and just after the dish guy left I changed channels on the 721 and I can’t get half of the channels. I get a black screen with a “lost signal lock” message.

It is my understanding that a Dish 500 looks at 2 satellites and the PVR needs both LNB inputs. The installer used a splitter on one LNB and connected it to both tuners on the 721 and the other LNB goes to the 811. If the 721 needs both LNB inputs how do I hookup the 811? Also, does the 811 need to be pointed to a particular satellite for HD programming?

Thanks in advance!

Donnie

trooper7648 said:
It is my understanding that a Dish 500 looks at 2 satellites and the PVR needs both LNB inputs. The installer used a splitter on one LNB and connected it to both tuners on the 721 and the other LNB goes to the 811.

You CANNOT use a splitter in satellite installations. I highly doubt the installer did that since they would know you can't do that.

The installer put it on there... And it's not a regular cable splitter. It looks like one but it's for Satellites. It has one input and two outputs and the 2 outputs have a picture of 2 receivers. It functions much like a multi-switch from what I was told.

That sounds like a DP+ seperator. It works with a DP+ TWIN LNBF to feed both tuners of a DP+ receiver.

Only problem for you is the PVR721 doesn't work on this setup...yet. It supposedly will someday when they download the right software for it.

And you didn't mention whether the installer put in a DP+ TWIN. The seperator wouldn't work with a legacy or DP TWIN anyway.

What he should have done for you is made sure you already had a DP TWIN, then put in a DP34 switch. Then you would be ready for the 2nd dish antenna, too.

Yes, he did change out the LNB for a DP+ TWIN LNB. Since I'm a new customer, just switched from Time Warner, is this (DP34) something they will provide or will I have to buy this?

Thanks!

Call the installer back. Note: he tried to do the job right with a clean setup.

Problem is he didn't know that the 721 can NOT handle a DP+ Twin LNBF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)