Setting up large Scale system for apartments

chris.excel

Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Beachwood,ohio
My company owns multiple apartment complexes and we are looking at possible putting in a satellite system that we could control and sell the service to our residents. Any idea on how to create that? We would like complete control of it.

You'd have to put in a head-end system with multiple receivers. You'd have each receiver set for a certain channel and would have it modulated out to a specific channel. I'm not sure how many receivers you can do but you would need a receiver for every channel you want to offer. Say you want to offer them 20 channels, you would need 20 receivers and each reciever would be turned to a certain channel.

We've priced out doing a system like this in the past. I'm not for sure if it still works this way though.

You'd have to put in a head-end system with multiple receivers. You'd have each receiver set for a certain channel and would have it modulated out to a specific channel. I'm not sure how many receivers you can do but you would need a receiver for every channel you want to offer. Say you want to offer them 20 channels, you would need 20 receivers and each reciever would be turned to a certain channel.

We've priced out doing a system like this in the past. I'm not for sure if it still works this way though.

You could always look at someone like these guys: Better Cable TV with NeX3! They recently started offering Dish at my apartment complex I live in.. They have 3 dishes mounted on / near each building.. and I think use a QAM type setup in the dish receivers (I am not sure which model they use) but they offer all the AT channel packs dish offer) each dish outside of the building I live in appears to be pointing at a single dish satellite.. (3 dishes so I am guessing knowing my locals are on 129) one for 110, 119, and 129 I think. [Their pricing wasn't to far less than what I get from cable right now so I didn't opt o switch]

it would be best to find a local office to get this going but to have a mini cable co just for your building is hard with everyone wanting hd. Larger apt 500+ units could save with just basic SD channels and every unit will be charged a flat rate.

Scherrman said:

This is the only setup where you have total control. If you integrate a qam setup residents need a receiver in each unit. This gives them flexibility with programing and allows for use with existing cable. The smatv (pronounced smat-vee) setup described above essentially turns you into a small scale cable distributor. Contact dish commercial and they can set it all up.

My company owns multiple apartment complexes and we are looking at possible putting in a satellite system that we could control and sell the service to our residents. Any idea on how to create that? We would like complete control of it.

Maybe you should talk to my apartment manager! They removed all dishes from the premises (there were none in private areas, only in common areas) and they don't seem to be acting on my recommendation to ink a deal with DISH or DIRECTV to put one dish on the roof and let residents subscribe to that satellite provider and tap into that dish if they subscribe.

My best guess - the complex is probably getting paid by commie comcast to not allow any competitor to set up a dish that residents can tap into and provide them competition. I"m just hoping Centurylink provides video over phone line (or verizon fios decides they want to serve my area). For now, i watch my DISH subscription at my dad's house where I had to keep that dish/DVR because there is no federal law protected way to install it where I live.

Thanks. The head-end is what we are looking for. We want to be able to pay a rate for service and then just filter it out to our customers. Kind of like we are our own mini cable company. Want to take the service provider out of the equation as much as possible. Trying to make a profit on service to our residents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)