Setup issues getting Local Channels with Birdog

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chaotic Machinery

Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Hi all,

I am having a hell of a time trying to get my Directv tuned in for local channels. PLEASE go easy on me.

Here is my problem: I keep losing satellite signal for my local channels and sometimes the other channels. In order to get the signal back I have hit the reset button. Then it may go out again.

Here is what I get using my birdog:
110 Nothing
72.5 Nothing
119 95% (quality)
101 72% (quality)

Could any one tell me the proper method for setting up a phase III dish?

Thanks,
CM

The latitude and longitude are used to dial in the 101 sat and the tilt for the 119. Once you get those two locked, the 110 should come in automatically.

mjones1973 said:
The latitude and longitude are used to dial in the 101 sat and the tilt for the 119. Once you get those two locked, the 110 should come in automatically.

Actually a phase III dish is pointed at the 110 sat, not 101. The tilt then picks up 101 and 119, one high and one low.

Not sure if I have it.

raoul5788 said:
Actually a phase III dish is pointed at the 110 sat, not 101. The tilt then picks up 101 and 119, one high and one low.

Using the birdog, I pointed it at the 110 sat. While the signal strength when up, the quality bar kept saying searching. I locked the dish down when I had the highest signal strength (never did get a quality bar). Then adjusted the tilt very bit.

So per the meter, I have pretty much the same setup. I tried out the receiver and as soon as I put in a local channel, I lost the sat. signal.

Shouldn't I get a quality bar for the 110 sat. like I do for the 101 and 119?

A big thank you for the replies so far.

CM

i have never ever gotten a signal stength for the 110 on the birdog....i never worry about it cause if you have the 101 and the 119 the 110 will always be there unless there is a tree or something

on the triple sat i always try and get the 101 and 119 peaked as good as possible....

raoul5788 said:

Thanks, I just remember concentrating on picking up the 101 and 119 when I set mine up, took me like 10 mins to aim it once I had the mast up and leveled.

Chaotic, what sat are your locals on by the way or which DMA are you in if you don't know?

Last edited:
If the meter never says found, you have the wrong settings on the dish and are pointing at the wrong satellite.

You need to plug the zip code into the setup screen on the receiver and get the correct settings. Then you need to make sure your mast is plumb both ways. Use a torpedo level to level the mast not that included bubble in the center of the mast.

Once the mast is level use a compass to get the general direction of the satellite you’re trying to hit and point the dish to the right of it and start moving the dish to the left 1 degree at a time. As long as mast is plumb, Tilt and Elv are correct you should get a FOUND indication on the meter and strength will probably hit over a 100 and Quality should hit 98 or so. Once this happens hit the ON button and peak the Carrier Noise as high as you can.

Chaotic Machinery,

If you have 101 and 119 as said earlier 110 is there because it falls in the middle. Unless there is a tree right if front of the dish it is there. What you more than likely need to do is check to see if your receiver is on for a phase 3 dish. You also may need to auto check the switch type for the 72.5 bird on the receiver. What type of receiver is it? Also when is the last time you updated your birdog.

www.birdog.tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts