Seven states now considering lowering the drinking age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shootinga gun involves making reponsible decisions. no question there. But the reguations on alcohol sales and on drinking while drib=ving are based on public safety considerations. Our lilitary deserves respect but they do not have license to disregard the law.

Sirry guys but you are trying to wrap your argument in the american flag and to calim that those who happen to disagree with you are somehow les american than you or don't support or repect the military. That is not true at all.

BTQ we are headed pretty sharply into pit territory---and to be honest this probably always belonhed there it isa political topic plain and simplE.

You've miss my point Chief. I wasn't suggesting they should be allowed to break the law, only to show how ridiculous the law is. And especially to put in perspective that an 18, 19, or 20 year old man or woman could be in Iraq performing unbelievable acts of heroism and bravery. Doing things that most of us could never do. Things that some lazy beat cop couldn't imagine doing. And to have him go and cart off that soldier like some kind of common criminal because he had a beer, is sickening to me. Which is why I feel the age should be at least 18, or as early as one is allowed to join the service.

Maybe I missed you point or maybe you missd my mine. But franly i don't think that the law is ridiculous and neither the police officer nor the soldier have much latitude in enforcing or obeying the law.

this whole argument about if you can serve you can drink is a matter of personal opinion. But some are mentioning the two like they are linked in away that they simply are not.

Maybe I missed you point or maybe you missd my mine. But franly i don't think that the law is ridiculous and neither the police officer nor the soldier have much latitude in enforcing or obeying the law.

this whole argument about if you can serve you can drink is a matter of personal opinion. But some are mentioning the two like they are linked in away that they simply are not.

They aren't specifically linked, except to say that saying a person is old enough to fight for his country but too young to drink a beer is really bizzare. You would trust this person with a loaded weapon, or a $2.5 billion fighter plane but not an alcoholic beverage? That's a rather irrational position.

You find it bizarre. but since there is no logical link between the two some might think that the insistence that they are linked is what is bizarre.

BTW I would not trust anyone with the items you mentioned while they were intoxicated. 18 year olds can and are trained to operate guns (they do not fly jets but they can be responsible for operations affecting them) but they are often irresponsible with alcohol. So we allow them to serve in the military but we don't allow them to drink---legally.

Again their service should be commended but it has nothing to do with whether they should drink. Nothing at all.

I don't think it should be lowered either. They are not old enough to show reatraint like has been said by others.

That comes from the attitude of total prohibition until that age. If it's not big deal to have a beer with family and friends at an earlier age, it's no big deal when you are allowed to do it for yourself! That is the point. The attitude in this country is BACKWARD when it comes to this.

See ya
Tony
SO if we make it legal to drink at 18 suddenly these teenagers will know how to drink responsibly? :haha :haha :haha

The "You can serve you can drink" has really nothing to do with the military in my opinion. Its only to say that, if a person is old enough to fight for his nation to protect our rights and freedom, why are they not old enough to have a beer? Regardless of if they join or not. If one is old enough to enter a legally binding contract, why cant they have a beer? If one is old enough to goto "adult jail" and "adult court" why cant they drink? Why can a LEGAL ADULT not have a beer?

I don't think it should be lowered either. They are not old enough to show reatraint like has been said by others.

Yea have you been to any bars ? I know more 30+ year olds who are less responsible then a 18 year old...

No matter the age when you drink you make stupid choices. (some people) From 18-21 that 3 years does not make that much of a difference.

Usually people start maturing in their mid-20s.

Why do you think males usually get their big break on car insurance at 25?

I am torn on this issue. As a retired military member, I certainly understand the argument in support of lifting the age requirement for those serving in the Armed Forces. Of course, on the other hand serving in the military does not override irresponsible behavior...especially when it comes to teenagers and alcohol. I hate to place a restriction on personal freedom, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the negative affects alcohol has on a group of individuals who have not fully matured physically, emotionally or intellectually. However, the libertarian in me says let people drink and smoke whatever they wish at the age of majority. Although I don't use drugs and rarely drink, people should be free to abuse their bodies as they wish...just as long as their behavior doesn't harm others, and they don't come looking to anyone for a handout when they screw up their lives.;)

What is the age of majority? Good question...:confused:

You find it bizarre. but since there is no logical link between the two some might think that the insistence that they are linked is what is bizarre.

BTW I would not trust anyone with the items you mentioned while they were intoxicated. 18 year olds can and are trained to operate guns (they do not fly jets but they can be responsible for operations affecting them) but they are often irresponsible with alcohol. So we allow them to serve in the military but we don't allow them to drink---legally.

Again their service should be commended but it has nothing to do with whether they should drink. Nothing at all.

:confused:Nobody was talking about anyone operating these things while intoxicated. This is the basic rub: Do you feel that it's a weightier responsibility to be in charge of a deadly weapon, a heavily armed tank, or a fighter jet than it is to be in charge of a can of beer? If you think that a 20 year old can lead men into combat, but drinking an adult beverage is simply too much for them to handle, then I reckon we have a fundamental difference of opinion, and will have to agree to disagree. That's all. Anyone can be irresponsible with alcohol. Turning 21 doesn't automatically bestow a cloud of responsible behavior upon an individual. I feel it should be lowered to the age when they can make other life-altering choices.

My take:

When I was between 16-22/23, I drank on the weekends (when I could find alcohol) and made very stupid decisions. I thank god I didn't hurt myself or somebody else. If I could have purchased alcohol at age 18, I would have had the opportunity to make a lot more stupid decisions and possibly injure an innocent person. Starting in my mid 20s, I matured and had the foresight to be more responsible....I am now in my late 20s and I wouldn't dare do some of the things I did 10 years ago.

I'm sure my situation is fairly common among young males. While it troubles me greatly that an 18 year old can fight for my country, come home, and be arrested for drinking, I think the rule is for the greater good. Most young males simply do not have the level of disipline to handle drinking responsibly at age 18. If anything, the drinking age should be raised by a few years.

Move the drinking age to 17 and the drivers license to 21. That way they will have 4 years of drinking experience before getting behind a wheel.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)