Seven states now considering lowering the drinking age

Status
Not open for further replies.
But is it statistically significant against the long term downward trend in vehicle fatalities due to airbags, engineering improvement, seatbelt usage, etc.?

How do you expalin the decline in that age group? those things would affect everyone.

I'm of the opinion that governments shouldn't be legislating vices period. I throw responsibility back on the individual. Under 18, the decision for a minor to drink should be up to the parents. At 18, a person should be able to partake in whatever vices they wish. Laws against harming others when partaking in such vices should remain intact though.

People ought to be able to drink, smoke, gamble, buy hookers, etc. at the age of adulthood and/or sooner if its ok with mom and dad. If they screw up their individual lives with these vices, that's their problem. Unfortunately, the governments have burdened themselves with the task of taking care of those who have screwed themselves up. Therein lies the problem.

Lowering the age also increases the supply of taxpayers for all the various sin taxes.

Here's a thought... One of the primary motivators of raising the drinking age is to prevent teenage driving deaths, why not raise the minimum driving age to 21? The problem, as publicized, is that 18 year olds don't have the maturity or experience to limit one of the activities when doing the other.

The attitude in this country (and England) with the "deamon alcohol" is mired in its puritanical roots, pure and simple. It amazes me how just about anywhere else in the world, drinking alcohol is NO BIG DEAL. People are raised with it at the family dinner table nearly every day, at social events, everywhere. There is no real line set other than moderation which is taught from a very early age.

In the US, we have an outright ban (with super-limited exceptions) for those under 21. So it has the same effect any ban has. Prohibition DOESN'T WORK. It never has. It never will. The overall effect is less people will use, but the ones that do will cause more problems or kill themselves (and possibly others) in the process!

As an aside, when I was 18 it was legal for me to drink beer. It was legal for me to buy hard liquor at 19. I also remember a time when it was legal to drive while drinking a beer. You just couldn't be drunk! Is that possible? YES! When you have A (singlular) beer!

See ya
Tony

T I also remember a time when it was legal to drive while drinking a beer. You just couldn't be drunk! Is that possible? YES! When you have A (singlular) beer!

See ya
Tony

It is still legal to drive after a single beer. most states measure to things fiorst the Blood alcohol Content. the limit allowed can vary but one beer will not put you over the limit in any jurisdiction-. The second thing considered is impairment. That si why the sobriety field test is used. If they can show that you are impaired than the BAC is irrelevant.

BTW most other countries have legal drinking ages as well. The us of 21 or 18 is not universal- (Germany allows you to drink beer at 16) but there sia minimum age set by law.

The problem with just saying let people do as they wish is that for some actiosn there are consequences for the rest of us not just the one doing the drinking.

It is still legal to drive after a single beer. most states measure to things fiorst the Blood alcohol Content. the limit allowed can vary but one beer will not put you over the limit in any jurisdiction-. The second thing considered is impairment. That si why the sobriety field test is used. If they can show that you are impaired than the BAC is irrelevant.

BTW most other countries have legal drinking ages as well. The us of 21 or 18 is not universal- (Germany allows you to drink beer at 16) but there sia minimum age set by law.

The problem with just saying let people do as they wish is that for some actiosn there are consequences for the rest of us not just the one doing the drinking.
I think the problem is a lot of those under 21 really have a problem drinking just one beer. Combine that with raging hormones and weak driving skills and its one heck of a mess. Motor vehicle deaths are not the only dangers. Unsafe sex leading to STD's, AIDs, unplanned pregnancies etc all happen more easily when impaired especially in youths.

When I was 18 that was the age we could drink in Louisiana. They changed about 3 or 4 yrs after that.

I remember that. Like a dumbass I went to school out of state and didn't return home until after I turned 21. I got the worst of both--that and the fact that I went to a Midwestern school during the winter and returned home during the summer!

It is still legal to drive after a single beer.

You missed what I said here. I did not say you can't drive after a single beer. I said you could be driving next to a cop and raise your open beer to the cop waving hello, take a swig and the cop would wave back and smile...that is unless you were exibiting signs of drunkeness. It was legal to drink WHILE driving. It was never legal to be drunk while driving.

As to the drinking ages in other countries, they are for a minor actually buying spirits by themselves. There is a huge cultural difference especially when it comes to groups (adults and young-uns mixed) and the overall attitude. I know first hand the difference just between here and the carribean. I have also spent ample time in Europe. England and the US are really the only two countries where the civic attitude is as prudish as we know here in the states.

See ya
Tony

I think the problem is a lot of those under 21 really have a problem drinking just one beer. Combine that with raging hormones and weak driving skills and its one heck of a mess. Motor vehicle deaths are not the only dangers. Unsafe sex leading to STD's, AIDs, unplanned pregnancies etc all happen more easily when impaired especially in youths.

That comes from the attitude of total prohibition until that age. If it's not big deal to have a beer with family and friends at an earlier age, it's no big deal when you are allowed to do it for yourself! That is the point. The attitude in this country is BACKWARD when it comes to this.

See ya
Tony

It's been done and proved to be a failure. 18th Amendment prohibited alcohol and the 21st Amendment restored it.

Well...okay. But if you read the 21st amendment, section one says the 18th amendment is repealed. The second section says, "no it isn't...EXCEPT" :)

Essentially prohibition exists in the US UNLESS the state allows it. And some states pass that burden on to the counties and some counties pass that to the individual municipalities!

21st Amendment Section 2.
" The transportation or importation into any state, territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited. "

See ya
Tony

Yep. I remember a case in the 1970's where the Kansas Attorney General got on a flight from KC to Denver, waited until the in-flight beverage service started and slapped handcuffs on the flight attendant.

They eventually compromised on an interpretation that the flight was not in Kansas jurisdiction unless it took off or landed in Kansas.

Servicemen or not, 18,19,20,etc, too young to drink.

Why? Do you magically become responsible at 21?

At 18 years old you are considerd a legal adult in this nation. You can live on your own, enter a contract, goto war, become a cop, among other things. But cant drink? I do not understand that. We are not talking kids here these are adults. Legal consenting adults...

In Many european nations the age is as low as 12 I think. They do not seem to have anymore problems then we do as far as drinking goes.

Sorry but the two are completely unrelated. Giving people who are asked to serve the right to vote at last makes sense because they have a voice in the decisions that might affect them.. giving them the "right" to drink does not do that. It just lets them drink.

I dont think its the governments business what people do when it comes to drinking. I as a young lad shared a beer with my grandpa at age 12. I have allowed my son to do the same with me. (were not talking getting sh*t faced here)

If an adult (which at 18 you are a legally consenting adult) wants to have a beer whats the problem? Why is it the governments business what an adult chooses to do? As long as it does not affect other people.

I'm of the opinion that governments shouldn't be legislating vices period. I throw responsibility back on the individual. Under 18, the decision for a minor to drink should be up to the parents. At 18, a person should be able to partake in whatever vices they wish. Laws against harming others when partaking in such vices should remain intact though.

People ought to be able to drink, smoke, gamble, buy hookers, etc. at the age of adulthood and/or sooner if its ok with mom and dad. If they screw up their individual lives with these vices, that's their problem. Unfortunately, the governments have burdened themselves with the task of taking care of those who have screwed themselves up. Therein lies the problem.

Lowering the age also increases the supply of taxpayers for all the various sin taxes.

Here Here.... You mean we should live in the land of the free?

Status
Not open for further replies.