several problems with my VIP211

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
During the last few weeks I noticed several reoccurring problems, just wondering if anyone has any info on these. First the EPG is not getting updated, every day it seems the guide displays in 30 minute increments no matter how long the program lasts, if you move to just 30 minutes in the future it displays "Program info is out of date and needs the satellite to update. The two other problems relate to OTA, I cannot change OTA channels using the keypad, if you try to go from one OTA channel to another it shows on the channel banner it has changed, but does not change channels. You can change channels by using the channel up/down button and lastly I have been the display of "lost OTA signal" on all channels, performing a receiver reset fixes it but this has been happening pretty frequently. Thanks!

I've been getting a lot of problems with OTA but only on two channels with my 211. When you first turn the receiver on, it will get the channels. After watching for a few minutes you go back to one of those channels and the receiver can't tune the picture, even though the SS is 100 on one of them and 70 on the other one.

I also get the "Program info is out of date and needs the satellite to update" message, I just hit cancel twice and you can change the channel or even look at the guide. The guide info is there so why the message?

I think it's a problem with the latest software update. My 211 never did this before. BTW, those 2 channels that I have problems with come in just fine on the 622.

Yep, I have been having the same problems with my 211 also. It seems it has gotten much worse since the L245 software version was pushed out about a month ago. I have OTA problems exactly like the ones you describe. Very frustrating.

Try scanning your locals again. Worked on my son-in-laws 811 that was having similar problems. Better yet, get an OTA antenna and use it with your built-in HD tuner (if you have one); you will be surprised as to picture and no loss of signal.

Try scanning your locals again. Worked on my son-in-laws 811 that was having similar problems. Better yet, get an OTA antenna and use it with your built-in HD tuner (if you have one); you will be surprised as to picture and no loss of signal.

That's the problem we're having with OTA channels. We all got an antenna already. ;)

I deleted all the locals channels and re-scan them, same problem.

...other problems relate to OTA, I cannot change OTA channels using the keypad, if you try to go from one OTA channel to another it shows on the channel banner it has changed, but does not change channels....

Happened to me once with a brand new replacement 211. Unplugged box for 30 seconds and hasn't happened again... yet. L345 SUCKS ASS.

Hammer

I've been getting all kinds of problems with my 211 recently too. I have to do a hard reset every few days to clear up pixelation on a wide variety of SD channels along with satellite signal loss when the weather is fine. Today I had to talk my 8 year old son through the reset procedure while I was at work due to a mysterious disappearance of audio from the HDMI output. Never had this happen before the software update.

I've been having the guide "out of date" thing too. Maybe it's time to shoot DISH an e-mail and let them know what their latest update screwed up this time.But I am sure they already know and as we speak are conjuring up a new patch to fix it or break something else. :D

Just had my second glitch with my 10 day old 211.

211 was on a Voom channel all day, got home and turned to an OTA channel and all OTA channels reported ZERO signal, no audio no video. Had to pull the plug to get the channels back.

L345 still SUCKS ASS.
Hammer

"turned to an OTA channel and all OTA channels reported ZERO signal, no audio no video."

This happened to me this afternoon. Had to reboot the receiver to get them back.

Same here... OTA issues, guide issues, etc. all since L354. I have noticed one odd OTA issue, when the problem occurs and all OTA channels have zero signal, I see a brief flash of another screen showing a "Lost Satellite Signal" or "Trying to acquire Satellite" and the channel shown is a non-OTA local channel that I get through dish. The screen is up for only about a half second and will continue to pop up until I either change to a regular (non-OTA) channel, or re-boot which provides a temporary fix. I did a factory reset and rescan but still have the same issue. We have 3 211 receivers and they all have the problem. Never had any of this before L354 and no problems with my old 811.

I haven't seen any issues with the EPG, but I did see the problem where the OTA Locals could not be tuned in. Even though I have my ViP 211 reboot once a morning, I find that I need to reboot manually after I notice "jerky" video on some channels. After the reboot, it's usually fine. I didn't see this before L345.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts