Severe Motion Artifacts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hifigramps

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2003
First of all, I would like to thank Stacy for posting this site on The Home Theater SPot.

My problem started about 2 weeks ago and is only seen on my local channels, when watching Football, Basketball, etc. I also have 2 east coast feeds, which remain pristine when watching the same programs. When watching a Football game the picture gets unwatchable during fast motion, then clears up as soon as the motion stops. ESPN and the east coast feeds remain clear. I'm watching a Bowl Game on ESPN as I write this and the picture has been perfect the whole game.
Tech help at Dish Network is still trying to figure it out. I have an original 501 receiver. Any thougts?[/b]

The Motion Artifacts you are seeing are the result of Statistical Multiplexing. This means that Dish can and does reassign Bandwidth on the fly giving and taking bandwidth to balance the Bandwidth available to provide the best Picture quality with the bandwidth available to all the channels on that transponder.

The problem is that the Local Markets are squeezed onto transponders at the rate of 11 to 13 channels per transponder which is too many channels to provide enough Bandwidth during high action sequences on more than a couple of channels, without enough bandwidth to display the picture you see more and More artifacts.

Generally Dish has a sliding scale in terms of allocated bandwidth to channels, Premiums and Dish on Demand get the most, Highly rated general interest channels are next, then the Locals and lower rated channels are allocated the least bandwidth.

John

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the problem. I had Direct TV for almost 10 years. The picture got so bad through the years from the added compression, that I switched to Dish 3 or 4 years ago. Monday Night Football on the NY ABC feed is great. When I switched to the local ABC feed, the motion was unwatchable. Dish tec svcs is trying to tell me it is the way my local stations are broadcasting.

I hate considering it but tomorrow I'm going to my neighbors house to check out his Digital/HD cable. He has PVR and local HD channels.

Thanks Again!

"I hate considering it but tomorrow I'm going to my neighbors house to check out his Digital/HD cable. He has PVR and local HD channels."

The locals are probably still analog on cable. Have you considered an OTA antenna? I don't care to watch sports on DBS.

Join the club, my locals are horrible as well, motion or not. If you look at the background you will see it shift color slightly when there is just a bit of movement, this drives me batty. I've dropped all Dish SD programming except my locals because the PQ is so bad. The only thing I watch anymore is HD or DVD, I can't even stomach local SD digital channels, the clarity is not there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)