SF Bay Area - KCSM-HD (060-00)_made available

So far, I see they show the following quality shows:

- Simply Ming (great show if you actually cook - he gives you all the details of techniques, etc.)
- Rick Steves (travel guide who knows a wealth of historical and cultural detals about Europe)
- Globe Trekker (also a travel show - widescreen but might not be in HD - running for 20 years - aka Pilot Guides, Lonely Planet)

I watched America's Test Kitchen on KCSM-HD today at 12:30PM and it was letterboxed.....

I checked Simply Ming - normally full HD on other channels - and it is letterboxed.

So, there is a 16x9 image with black bars around all 4 sides, with the KCSM logo in a spot that looks like it would have been "4x3 safe" if the whole letterboxed image were the size of the entire full HD screen.

HERE IS THE WEIRD PART - I checked the SD feed, and it has the entire HD feed letterboxed - meaning that there is a tiny 16x9 image inside twice as much black bars as would be seen if a full HD feed were being letterboxed.

So, the conclusion is that someone has mistakenly put a letterboxing on the HD feed and then the SD feed is adding another letterboxing to that already-letterboxed image.

This does not appear to be Dish Network's fault, since at night the HD feed is a full HD image.

I reported it to KCSM's tech email address, so we will see if there is a fix (or a response).

KCSM replied:
Most of the programs in KCSM's library have been recorded over the past
few years. Many shows originally produced in HD were optimized for
playback via Comcast cable on 4:3 TVs. Because we are now available in HD
on most systems, we are no longer optimizing our recordings but we are
still airing some shows that were. Over time, you should see fewer and
fewer 4:3 letterbox programs on KCSM.

and.... the channel is for sale...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_18742347?IADID

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts