SF Bay Area locals are up

tbenning said:
In Sacramento,
3 (KCRA - NBC)
10 (KXTV - ABC)
13 (KOVR - CBS)
58 (KQCA - WB) are all now available,

40 (KTXL - Fox) is missing.

I guess it's time to call for my upgrade... I'm tired of fiddling with my antenna all the time..

OTA vs. sat local channels

I'm watching NHL playoff game on NBC11 right now and the picture on the OTA channel is much crispier. On sat version of the same channel a fast moving puck leaves a trail on the screen. Very disappointing :(

Last edited:
chrisw27 said:
Anyone having audio issues on KTVU channel 2? It sounds like the audio is coming from a tin can.

Its coming in good here, I'm using a 411 with the toslink optical hooked up in dolby digital. Its sounding pretty good.

Tim

The Dallas-San Antonio NBA playoff game on KGO (ABC) looked as good as Comcast/OTA today, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that. NASCAR looked good on KTVU (FOX) today too, but I didn't compare that closely with OTA.

hhkr said:
Its coming in good here, I'm using a 411 with the toslink optical hooked up in dolby digital. Its sounding pretty good.

Tim

Really? How do you have it hooked up?

I have a 211, I don't know if its the same as a 411 but its hooked up via HDMI and toslink at the same time so I guess it downsamples/splits the audio quality.

KNTV is still horrible. The worst ghosting I have seen. Unwatchable. The other 3 HDs are fine. I do notice a few artifacts on KTVU2 but nothing significant. But 11 looks like things move in slow motion with the ghosting. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

For those of you who have normal audio on KTVU, how do you have your receiver hooked up to the TV? Mine still sounds like tin cans..

Well, I tried every combination and changed setup settings and I have no idea why KTVU-HD has bad sound for me. Anyone have an idea?

chrisw27 said:
Really? How do you have it hooked up?

I have a 211, I don't know if its the same as a 411 but its hooked up via HDMI and toslink at the same time so I guess it downsamples/splits the audio quality.

Well lets see, I have the 411, which is exactly the same as the 211 minus the ethernet port, hooked up hdmi to dvi to my lcd monitor and I have the toslink hooked up to my Onkyo surround sound system.

Tim

KTVU sounds fine to me as well. I am using the HDMI connection to the TV and then I run analog RCA jack from the TV output into a receiver.

But KNTV-11's picture is still miserable.

Wow, so the audio sounds fine while HD programming is broadcasted. That makes sense. I should of known that.

Well, NBC is such a waste of HD space if the picture is just unwatchable. We should have WB or UPN instead. Is it really because of Weather Plus? How does that affect NBC's bandwidth? I was at someone's house, they have Comcast. NBC looked fine in HD and they even had a channel for the Weather Plus. I hope Dish could do the same.

Well we should be having channel 4 in HD soon. I don't even watch that channel but its good that we're getting it anyway. Also I was looking at the table from dbstalk, is KICU 36 going HD for us too? That seems very random.

I am viewing on a 65" mits through component cables and the HD version of nbc looks worse than the SD version. I have no antenna to compare to; is this dish overcompressing or is it the way they broadcast? I can't believe Dish even bothered if this is the way it is supposed to look. The other LiL's look pretty reasonable, though not quite as nice as I had hoped they would. I do get video breakups and audio glitches on all of them (or at least I think all of them. Definitely on more than one of them). Not enough to drive me crazy yet.

KNTV/NBC and KPIX/CBS both look worse than Comcast or OTA. You can see this particularly during Leno and Letterman. Both have a live-to-tape look, whereas prime-time shows (particularly dramas) go for the film-texture look which (apparently) looks better under bandwidth-starved conditions. They look like they're frame-skipping or something.

Last night I had no picture on the HD KNTV feed on tuner 2 of my 622. this has happened a couple of times on the HD locals, no picture but audio is there. anyone else have this? I'm getting tired of having to soft reboot all the time.

I emailed dishquality and told them to fix our locals. Did they already fix the slow movement on CBS? It looks better to me.

When you lose an HD channel, just think.. maybe Dish Network is fixing it? :)

Anyone else seeing horrible lipsync problems on ABC? I thought it was just my crappy amp but the other channels seem more or less okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts