SG2100 on Primestar?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
I'm thinking about getting the SG2100 to motorize this Primestar. Anyone know if the SG2100 will fit on a 3" post? Thanks.

I think what you should be more concerned about is how the Primestar will fit on the 2100. I believe most of us use some kind of "sleeve" if you will to help it fit. Take a piece of say 2" PVC pipe (don't know the OD off the top of my head), slit it and it should fit around the 2100 shaft and allow the primestar to clamp on tightly.

Great thanks pal. Was wondering about that. Got a question. I hear people say the Pstar's mount may be too heavy and others say its fine. I dont really see myself scanning back and forth across the arc, as I think I'll only concentrat on G10R and IA6 mainly. Looking for some input on this. Thanks.

Das Hammer said:
I think what you should be more concerned about is how the Primestar will fit on the 2100. I believe most of us use some kind of "sleeve" if you will to help it fit. Take a piece of say 2" PVC pipe (don't know the OD off the top of my head), slit it and it should fit around the 2100 shaft and allow the primestar to clamp on tightly.

OK thanks I'll keep that in mind also.

swampman said:
Great thanks pal. Was wondering about that. Got a question. I hear people say the Pstar's mount may be too heavy and others say its fine. I dont really see myself scanning back and forth across the arc, as I think I'll only concentrat on G10R and IA6 mainly. Looking for some input on this. Thanks.

It can be done! But you want to remove as much HEAVY METAL from the dish mount as you can!
Have a look at this link, a few members have done it with great success!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23072&highlight=Primestar+sg2100

PSB said:
It can be done! But you want to remove as much HEAVY METAL from the dish mount as you can!
Have a look at this link, a few members have done it with great success!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23072&highlight=Primestar+sg2100
Yes a great thread PSB! But let me ask this. The round Primestar dish(40x44) is actually bigger than the oval type(40x30). Now I hear alot about the SG2100 motor possibly having difficulty with these dishes. But there must be a bigger(more powerful) motor available, without getting into the price of a c-band class motor. Right? Would that be an option? Thanks.

Last edited:
I use a STAB HH100 motor with my 40x30 oval. No problems. The mount is considerably heavy though. Drill some holes through it to reduce some weight.

There's plenty of threads on which is better, STAB or SG2100. Everyone has their own preference.

We recently had a poll about motors here and the SG2100 won HANDS DOWN!

Swampman, I have the 1 meter Channel Master dish (same as the Primestar you have), and I can tell you that it is really too heavy for a H-H motor. There is a company in Europe that makes a "mini" actuator for these 1- and 1.2-meter Channel Master dishes. I don't have a link (maybe another member will chime in), but I remember that a couple of members here bought these actuators about a year or so ago.

If you download the PDF manual for the HH120 you'll see that STAB actually makes a pair of adaptor rings for the shaft specifically for fitting Channel Master dishes (which is what a big Primestar dish is) with 3" pole mounts. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone anywhere who stocks them. I think I'll end up resorting to building a custom mount for my Primestar dish like so many others have done.

I thought about using a bunch of duct tape as a shim, just wrapping it around and around the shaft until it had the required 3" thickness. But I tried that on a fixed pole and it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped. A stiff wind will still cause enough twisting that the dish will get slightly out of alignment, enough to drop weak transponders, stuff like that. Oh well, it was worth a shot...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts