Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Have had this motor for a few years, has worked well until about 2 weeks ago... completely quit working, no movement using any of my DISEqC capable receivers. Green light under the motor indicates power and the LNBF functions fine. Tried to re-set the motor using the small hole with mini switch inside and felt a bit of a crunch as I pushed in my non-metallic tuner tool. No change.

Removed the motor and took to bench for dis-assembly. Found corrosion around the (reset) switch area of the circuit board. Found a replacment switch off an old circuit board, cleaned the area, soldered in the new switch and re-assembled the motor.

Installed and seems to work except... now the motor seems to (forget) where it is pointing every time I turn off the receiver! It always thinks it is at true south when I boot up the receiver, so if it was on 125w when I shut it down it goes to 153w when I start it up again! If I move it to my true south satellite using diseqc 1.2, turn off LNB power and switch to USALS and turn the LNB power on again it works perfectly fine unitl I shut off the receiver again.

Has any one had this trouble before?
Maybe I messed something up when I soldered in the new switch or it is the wrong switch? I don't have a circuit diagram to know if the switch is special spdt, dpdt, etc...

-C.

I've had this kind off problem also. I would seem to be a problem with getting power to the motor. Poor connection somewhere, faulty switch etc. With me it was an intermittant deal but happenned much too often. I fixed this by modifying the SG2100 to use an external power source for the motor. This not only took care of the alzheimer problem but made the motor very speedy. :)

Sounds like your reset switch is stuck on. To reset 0 position you press the switch and cut power to the motor. And it looks like this is happenning evry time

Last edited:
Yes I agree with the switch being stuck on.. I might have replaced the switch with a faulty one but it seemed to work on the bench. Will have to take it apart again and check carefully.
Oh well... all in fun I guess.
-C.

Looks like I have to order a switch. Wish I could read the part number...
-C.

Update;
Removed the switch completely and re-installed the motor. Works perfectly again. Will look through the digi-key catalog when I get some spare time and find a suitable replacement. I also put some dielectric grease around the clear rubber plug to help seal the opening where the switch and LED light are. I suspect this is where the moisture came in, likely in the winter as snow or condensation however in the winter the motor is well shaded from the sun behind the dish. Guess anything can happen, and I often use the motor at temps below -20F and it works fine if not a bit slow at those conditions.
-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)