Shane Kim Talks 360 1080p Game Output

"I pointed out that some movie studios have said they will use HDMI output as a form of copy protection and Kim acknowledged that if a studio uses that scheme then HDMI will indeed be required."

Which means that you will not be playing new HD movies on the 360 once the studios start implementing HDCP. That sucks.

IMO this is a world class blunder. 360's playing HD DVD movies is critical for the growth of HD DVD to counter the PS3's coming for BluRay. BONEHEAD mistake.

vurbano said:
"I pointed out that some movie studios have said they will use HDMI output as a form of copy protection and Kim acknowledged that if a studio uses that scheme then HDMI will indeed be required."

Which means that you will not be playing new HD movies on the 360 once the studios start implementing HDCP. That sucks.

As of now it's pure specualtion and I don't really see why would it turn into reality...

1. There's no HDCP in current movies. (TBH I don't see it coming for a while when both formats are still fighting for their 'right to exists' under the sun.)

2. There's nothing to prevent MS from implementing HDMI on the drive. If they want they can just use SMP8630 and do everything in the drive's box.

vurbano said:
IMO this is a world class blunder. 360's playing HD DVD movies is critical for the growth of HD DVD to counter the PS3's coming for BluRay. BONEHEAD mistake.

See above. In fact MS is playing a smart game against Sony.:cool:

With the announcement of upcoming 1080p support - notice as it came only few days after Toshiba's new player lineup - they pretty much killed Sony's PS3 argument WRT Blu-Ray's technical superiority - qualitative superiority has been killed laready by all the blocky, pixelous, softy, sh!tty quality Blu-Ray movies they have released past few months.

Last edited:
T2k said:
See above. In fact MS is playing a smart game against Sony.:cool:

With the announcement of upcoming 1080p support - notice as it came only few days after Toshiba's new player lineup - they pretty much killed Sony's PS3 argument WRT Blu-Ray's technical superiority - qualitative superiority has been killed laready by all the blocky, pixelous, softy, sh!tty quality Blu-Ray movies they have released past few months.

T2K, I want HD DVD to win the war. I really hope you are right, but I find it hard to believe that the studios wont implement HDCP. Seems like an enormous gamble on M's part

That might be true Scott, but that HDMI connector will not come with HDCP. In fact, I have been researching for the last 6 months HDMI receivers. Something that has poped up in the last two months is the statement -- 'will not pass HDCP'.

That means that if you use a HDMI receiver to connect lets say a HD-DVD drive, 622DVR from Dish and say a PS3 using HDMI the receiver will downrez the movie if the studio requires HDCP. Even the new receivers just announced a the CES do not pass a copy protected HD signal thru the HDMI port. They also downrez the signal if copy protection is required. I am beginning to wonder if there will be any receivers that will pass a copy protected signal onto the monitor any time soon.

I kind of feel that saying a receiver passes 1080p is bogus if it can not pass the HDCP too. There are plenty of digital switches on the market that pass the digital signal. Wonder if they can also pass HDCP since they are not doing anything with the signal other than moving from connector A to connector B?

We all have to hope that piracy does not hit either HD-DVD or BluRay anytime soon. Because, if that happens all the studios will start requiring HDCP and any HD unit, HD-DVD or BluRay, that does not output using HDMI will then start downrezzing HD over the componet.

So far all the major studios have decided to hold of till 2010 -- by my count that is only 3 years away. Additonally, there is nothing in writting that says that they have to wait till 2010! Hopefully, there will be many HD-DVD & BluRay players out there with HDMI for a decent (sub $400) price.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
They CAN be a connecter made that fits where your current HD connecter is plugged in that will give you HDMI instead of component.
so if hdmi comes to frution, ms will make a component/hdmi converter or something along that line?

Scott Greczkowski said:
They CAN be a connecter made that fits where your current HD connecter is plugged in that will give you HDMI instead of component.

But that cannot be HDCP-compliant, Scott. Instead I can see built-in in the HD-DVD drive unit...

You cannot pass HDCP thru a componet connector -- hence the need for a DVI or HDMI connector on both the originating product (HD-DVD drive) and the receiving product (your HDTV).

JoeSp said:
You cannot pass HDCP thru a componet connector -- hence the need for a DVI or HDMI connector on both the originating product (HD-DVD drive) and the receiving product (your HDTV).

Why cant you pass the signal through component? Obviuosly the HDCP doesnt work with component on the TV because component inputs are not designed to handle it. But what prevents an addon that hooks on the component jacks then the other end is a dvi or hdmi connection?

minorthr said:
Why cant you pass the signal through component? Obviuosly the HDCP doesnt work with component on the TV because component inputs are not designed to handle it. But what prevents an addon that hooks on the component jacks then the other end is a dvi or hdmi connection?

How the fact that it is an analog output and the license of HDCP clearly says on non-compliant output maximum resolution is that of DVD's?

I am beginning to wonder if there will be any receivers that will pass a copy protected signal onto the monitor any time soon.
I scratch my head everytime I read article with the same issue. I've been waiting for almost 2 years to buy a new Av-receiver, because my budget for that is about $1.5K and I don't to throw my money away.
This issues are hurting the A/V Market, the same as HD-DVD/Blue Ray

So far all the major studios have decided to hold of till 2010 -- by my count that is only 3 years away. Additonally, there is nothing in writting that says that they have to wait till 2010! Hopefully, there will be many HD-DVD & BluRay players out there with HDMI for a decent (sub $400) price.

In 2010 the Xbox will be 4 years old, at that time we can be sure that M$ will have a new console...

First, the video signals with HDMI are seperated more then with componet.
Second, componet out is a analog signal not a digital signal like DVI and HDMI.
Third, the HDCP is built into the DVI and HDMI product and therefore is not available thru the componet output.

On another note, the XBOX360 will be doing upscaling of its componet output to 1080i. Then your HDTV will be doing the upscaling to 1080p. Without DVI or HDMI I do not believe that 1080p is possible over the componet output. You can do 1080i over componet but not 1080p. In addition, using componet for 1080p HDTV's is not really 1080p material. Especially since all the XBOX360 games are in 720p. In essence the XBOX360 can provide a signal to your 1080p HDTV that it can upconvert to a 1080p screen -- that is not a native 1080p signal and in that sense the XBOX360 has always been able to provide a signal that can be upconverted by your 1080p HDTV to 1080p. Another problem that I see is that without a HDMI output matched to your same equiped 1080p HDTV I do not believe that you can pass a 1080p signal. I am very interested to see how M$ is going to do this without the hardware?